What's your favorite programming language and why?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Black Light, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Just curious. Personally I love VB/VBA, even though there are more powerful languages out there, I'd rather tinker with VB till I get similar results than start using C++ or anything like that... :dunno:

2. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

i do web shit mainly, and its almost all in PHP, some perl thrown in there when I need it. When I'm coding for the fun of it, lately its been C++ because i've been doing coding on the GBA

3. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

I'm a PL/SQL programmer right now, but in all of the languages I've used, Java has to be my favorite by far. The least amount of "stupid shit" to worry about (memory addressing, etc) and you can focus on the PROGRAMMING part, not the lame-ass resource managemnt part.

4. Black Light

Black Light Guest

So which one language is your most favorite? :confused:

I want to decide which language I should learn next after VB. I'm considering taking a C class, since I sucked badly in my C++ class and I would use the C class as a refresher... :dunno:

I heard languages like Python and Delphi are really powerful and supposedly easy to code, is that true? :confused:

5. Black Light

Black Light Guest

What are its advantages/disadvantages vs. Visual C++? I prefer GUI interface when programming. Console (DOS-like) programming bores me... :(

6. Black Light

Black Light Guest

You use Java for that, right? :confused:

7. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

I guess it would have to be php... while it was designed for web use, I've written muds, telnet servers, web servers, open gl apps, and normal window apps, its extremely versitile. it seems to take the best parts from most of the big languages and makes it real easy for the programmer to accomplish work without worrying about reinventing the wheel all the time.

8. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Is it much harder to learn than VB? :confused:

9. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

i have 2 favorite programming languages

1 is JAVA because it's simple enough to do powerful things and pretty easy to design gui in, also it's platform independent

2nd is C because it's low-level language, you can do anything and everything in it, it's very powerful and not bloated like C++. Also you can use it along with java using JNI.

10. Black Light

Black Light Guest

I'm seriously considering taking an introductory C class. This should refresh my C++ skills and prep me for the Java class. :cool:

11. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

:bigthumb:

12. Black Light

Black Light Guest

I was in our school's book store and opened one of the thick text books used in an intro C class... :drool:

I almost bought it even before I take the class, but then decided to wait for the class, cuz I don't learn well from books alone... :(

I'm more into hands-on learning... :dunno:

13. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I don't really have a single favorite. I really enjoy Java, C# and J#. I've done a very little with C/C++ and I really enjoy those as well. Which one I use depends on the problem at hand.

14. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Which one of the ones you named is the easiest to use? :)

15. CompiledMonkey

I'd have to say Java, C#, or J#. They are each about the same.

16. Black Light

Black Light Guest

I heard that C# was designed to replace VB, is that true? :squint: :confused:

17. CompiledMonkey

It's all a matter of who you talk to. I've heard people say C# is to replace everything by Microsoft (VB, MSVC++, scripting langs, etc.), and take developers away from Sun. The books I've read on C# have all said, "you'll never want to code C++ again once you see how easy C# is.." and so on. Of course MS developers are just now getting what Java/C++ devs have had for a few years now. Those exact words were probably said in Java books in 95-97.

If you're looking for my opinion, I don't think C# will replace anything. VB6 developers will probably split between VB.NET or C#. Java developers probably won't even look up and if they do, they'll probably check out C# or J#. C/C++ programmers might check out C# for interest, but C# will not take away any market share from C/C++ because it isn't nearly as powerful. Those are many .02.

18. ugopk

ugopk New Member

C/C++ because that's the only language i know so far :(

19. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

C0B0l OwNZ j00 B|tCh3Z...

ok not really, I hate it more than anything....:)

java, than c/c++...vb is very easy for DB driven stuff...I hate web programming

20. Black Light

Black Light Guest

Well, those are the most heavy duty languages out there. :bigthumb:

I can't imagine programming strictly in C/C++. It must take a while to write even the simplest stuff, huh (as compared to VB and similar simpler languages)? :p

I'm just hoping that I can use other languages that are bit more programmer friendly (like Java or C# for example) and still get all the power of C/C++. :x:

21. Black Light

Black Light Guest

:rofl:

Yeah, it owned my grandparents too! :ugh2:

The age of mainframes will be over soon! :fawk:

22. biomechanoid

biomechanoid Guest

Qbasic because its the only language I really know. But I was GOD back in the day. I was even able to program a MUD that worked over a modem using QBASIC :fawk:

23. Jericho

Jericho Active Member

I like Python, it's kinda like Perl but better :big grin:, it's very very easy to learn and you can start programming in it immediatly, it also has one of the best, if not the best syntax around, very readible and you can do just about anything in it, from games, network programming, software programming and even web programming, you can use it for anything!Python

Last edited: Feb 15, 2003
  24. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

PHP for the web. Java is starting to grow on me.

C/C++ when I'm not doing web dev.

And I have a very high respect for Assembler and anyone who makes a living coding with it.

25. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

i've never programmed VC++, so I dunno... i've only done UNIX programming in C++.

however, you can use an IDE (like Visual Studio) for anything. There are several out there specifically for Java (JCreator is the most popular).

I do a lot of my programming in vi, though :fawk: , although i must admit for large projects, i love the Visual Studio interface.