What's your favorite engine degreaser?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Abraxis, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I've always used Eimann Fabric's citrus degreaser, but it looks like that isn't sold anymore and I'm out. :wtc:
    Tried the Gunk spray, but it absolutely sucks! It's weak and I ran through 2 cans long before the job was done. I could do my engine with half a bottle of the Eimann.
    What's a good replacement for me?

2. black 3g

black 3g Guest

simple green works for me, but my engine is never that dirty.

3. Sonar_un

Sonar_un Prowler Orange

Simple Green is pretty good.

I like the CD2 engine degreaser also. I've used it on a few engines, it produces some nice results.

4. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Well, mine's usually pretty nice too, but when the snout seal on your blower starts leaking...things change drastically. ;)

This is how it usually looks:
    [​IMG]

Now, picture a thin oil over the back half of the engine grabbing every speck of dust that comes through there. Plus, these cars keep a LOT of heat under the hood to bake it all on there. :doh:

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I like the CD2 dressing, but I haven't seen a degreaser. The Einmann's did a great job, plus it didn't burn your lungs like Simple Green does when you use it. I have some, just don't like to use it.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Greased Lighting's Orange Blast works great.

7. kdv

kdv New Member

Nice SC Abraxis! Yeah, the MN12 holds way too much heat under there. My 5.0 Cougar is bad for that too, thinking about a cowl hood to pull air through the engine bay.

I use Simple Green as well, it's the best thing I've seen, and I've tried a bunch of products over the years. My cars get pretty dusty under there, and gets caked on there pretty good.

And my 4L bottle lasts forever :hsd:.

8. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

Thanks! I got it about 2.5 yrs ago and still love this car. Are you on SCCoA or TCCoA?

9. kdv

kdv New Member

Both :big grin:!

User name is "Kevin" on both boards, but during the winter I rarely browse there, it's too depressing.

My Cat is in the back yard right now, sans motor+tranny, both getting rebuilt. And Simple green did a heck of a job taking off all the grunge on the frame rails and firewall ;)!

10. Abraxis

Abraxis Denny Crane.

I haven't been on much lately either. JAFO on SCCoA, not sure the last time I posted on TCCoA, same name.

11. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Be careful with Greased Lightning around uncoated aluminum. :) I speak from previous uhm, problems. :wtc:

12. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

:dunno: It worked fine on my old Accord which had anodized pulleys and a ceramic coated CAI. My aluminum valve cover was painted but the engine block isn't and I didn't see any problems.

Did you spray it on a hot engine? Sometimes that will affect how a product works.

13. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

First thing I tell the customer that I'm not responsible for any damage done while cleaning the engine.

If the engine is not that bad I use HOT water with a garden sprayer with 3M car soap /w a vary large paint brush. 3M car soap is a heavy duty car soap.

On my truck what I do is when its raining I soak the engine with 3M car soap a drive it, maybe soak it again wash it later

Dirty engines I use D-Limonene which is a citrus cleaner mix about 30-70 or stronger, warm the engine, spray & close the hood let soak. Spray off then warm the engine again let soak again and with a garden sprayer with hot water pressure clean it off also a paint brush helps too. After cleaning make sure you run the engine to get rid of cleaning smell residue on exhaust ports

Degreasers normally dulls painted surfaces, vary hot water on engines I have seen paint come off, phosphoric acid works ok on cleaning engines, Super clean degreaser I seen paint come off, Heavy duty cleaning it’s a good ideal to dress fan Betts with a rubber conditioner after cleaning.

Best to clean engines at car wash, open grassy field --- Don't let waste water go down storm drains!

10 Easiest ways to clean a engine

Find a river run car in river.
    Take off your hood when its raining.
    Go to W mart and buy a engine.
    Let a tree fall on your car and collect the insurance and buy a new clean one
    Go to S.F. to Polk st and have your ports cleaned.
    Goto a Detailing convention in Vas Vegas and put a sign with cleaner with rags saying "New engine cleaning soap and put your wife in a bikini and let these detailers wipe the engine clean trying it.
    Borrow a body at the moruge place on engine and let CSI pick it clean (warning to not use wife).
    Buy spray paint and paint over everthing in engine.
    Pore a gallon of gas on engine and light it on fire then call fire dep and let them hose it clean.
    Call up ScottWax and have him detail your engine, close the hood traping him under it and drive way, your enging will aways stay clean

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  14. gandhibrokemyskates

gandhibrokemyskates slangin beer

:werd:

15. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

My jokes are not that bad:stupid:

16. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Simple Green automotive degreaser rocks my socks. Cut through all the nasty gunk and grime left on my engine after a really long winter.