A&P whats your approch to getting people to let you take photos of them

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ryan112ryan, Jan 21, 2006.

1. ryan112ryan

ryan112ryan New Member

i have a digital photojournalism class and this weekend im supposed to shoot 12 strangers. im just going to be like i have a home work asignment to take photos of strangers blah blah

if you want to take a photo of a random stranger what do you normaly say/do?

2. shangrilarcadia

shangrilarcadia A lady

Well honestly, I would probably go in a busy street and take pics without asking - remember, you don't need or even want them to pose in a photojournalism picture. And if you are just turning them in for class you don't really need their permission since you aren't doing anything with the pics.... Just don't try this in a sketchy part of town - I know one guy who did that and got the film ripped out of his camera :o

3. buttchin

buttchin New Member

Obviously you want to avoid flash as well, it is pretty easy to take pictures of people from afar but if you have a flash, people tend to all turn around to see what is going on.

4. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

if you feel funny about taking pics of strangers, use a point and shoot instead of a SLR. thats what some photojournalist do if there in a sketchy area were they dont want to stand out.

5. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

Depends on your personality. Personally, I have no problems walking up to strangers and striking up a conversation. If you see an old couple sitting on a park bench, all you have to do is tell them what you're doing and 90% of them won't mind. As long as you aren't some strange looking weirdo, most people don't mind. A good place would be a park to get pics of people doing various activities.

6. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

my approach is to not stick around too much. looks kinda stalker-status. get a couple shots and move on. take pictures of random things like buildings and signs and such and it won't look as obvious.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

i dont ask. if they are out in public they are free game (with some exceptions)

8. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

shoot first, ask questions later.

9. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

:werd: you can do pretty much anything without having to ask. just do it

10. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

if they give you guff, just say you were shooting something behind them and to not flatter themselves

11. presidente

presidente New Member

back when i was in high school some ugly filipino kid brought his digital camera to school, he was taking pics of my friends (girls) as well as my buddies g/f.. we kicked his ass cuz we knew what his intentions were (he wasnt in no photo journalism class). it was fuckin weird that mofo had pics of them just sitting there or eating :rofl:

12. presidente

presidente New Member

moral of the story - dont get caught taking pics of girls