Whats wrong with the 99 volvos?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Wizard of Poz, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Why should I not get one?

2. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

First model year for the S80/C70.
    You really don't want to get the first model year for any car.

3. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Which model were you looking at? any one inparticular?

4. daft punk

daft punk New Member

first year of drive by wire on the 70 cars, some have a few issues with that.

but over all excellent cars, and no reason to avoid the C70 its the same car as the S/V70

biggest problem is steering wheels wear our quickly, the leather degrades, S/V cars just replace it with the C70 wheel, nice thick wheel.

5. Wizard of Poz

Wizard of Poz New Member

Not really looking at anything in particular. maybe an s60 or s80. Unless I can get an s40 for cheap. Which one do you guys think? Turbo a big deal on these cars or not worth it.

I'm a little bit worried. Doesnt seem like these are on par with BMW from some of the reviews I read. Also seems like the depreciation value drops faster than BMW. But also there is a handful that have problems with bmw also.

I'm going to hopefully find a cheap one >$10k with low mileage at an auto auction.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  6. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

You'll find a nice 97 850Turbo or 850T-5 for that price. Volvo depreciates faster becaues they don't have the BMW name. The BMW 318t is still pulling 10k for them with close to 100k miles. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Turbo isn't really a big deal. My mom had a 1991 945Turbo and it lasted to 180k until she traded it in. Still ran good and the turbo spooled and gave passing power. The turbo is somewhat a must in the older RWD Volvo's. The n/a 850 5 Cylinders make the same power and I drove one before I got another turbo 940 and it was the same. You can find a great 850 for that price. There are some common problems, but its nothing you can really get away from with any car company.

It could be possible to find a 2.9 S80 or maybe even a T6 from an auto auction.

About first year productions, a guy I know has a 1995 960. First model year for the re-design. Supposedly to ahve a lot of problems, but he hasn't had anything major that couldn't occur in any car.