whats wrong with my sub :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zaink, May 25, 2007.

1. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

so i have this sub that comes with a center speaker, and ive had it connected to my cousins reciever for atleast 4 months.. and just recently the sub went out, the center speaker that is connected to it still works.. ive tried checking the fuse and all teh wires but everything is still working.. where do i go from here :wtc:

btw its an Altec Lansing sub, and a sony reciever

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

If the subwoofer still turns on as it normally would, check to see if your receiver allows you to control your inputs/outputs (many do) check be sure that the subwoofer output didn't somehow get disabled.

If your receiver does not have these controls, or you don't know how to get at them, try using the subwoofer with a different output to see if the problem is at the subwoofer or receiver end of things.

3. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

well i connected the sub to the dvd player instead of reciever but it still doesnt work (the subwoofer, the center speaker still works)

:hs:

4. Waddup you?

Waddup you? OT Supporter

have you tried switching cables from your sub to the receiver? or een your dvd player(I am assuming you have an rca coming from either to send a signal, not power, to your sub).

your sub is powered, correct?

does your sub have speaker level inputs? if so, maybe you can try connection some speaker wire from your set B speaker output from your receiver to see if that works. if this doesn't work, maybe it is the sub.

5. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

im not quite sure what exactly you said, but i have moved the rca wires from reciever to dvd player but the subwoofer still didnt work.. and yes it is powered by wall outlet (if thats what you mean)

6. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

the sub amp may have just went out... also some have an inline fuse on the circuit board.. I would open the sub up and check out the amp circuit board. There may just be a popped fuse.

7. zaink

zaink OT Supporter

is it fairly easy to tell? because its easy to open :mamoru:

8. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

some have a visible fuse inside them.. other have dont. It may be as simple as that.