Whats wrong with my PS2? :-/

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by steveforlife, Nov 18, 2002.

1. steveforlife

steveforlife Guest

A few weeks ago, it started giving me "Disc Read Errors" most of the time I try to play or watch anything. Some games and DVD's always work, though, so Im confused.

I bought a video lens cleaner that says works for the PS2 and it wouldnt read that thing either. :(

2. gman2699

gman2699 Guest

That started happenig to me too. Even the fact that the video cleaner didnt work. What i wound up doing is opening up the playstation and cleaning the lens with a cotton que-tip. Now i keep up on cleaning the lens every two weeks or so and have never had the problem again. Be warned, you can do some major damage to the system when you open it up!

3. Maybe the discs themselves are damaged? In any event, NEVER use those lens cleaning devices because they'll end up doing more harm than good

4. gman2699

gman2699 Guest

I just heard that those cleaning devices use a nylon fiber brush that CAN do harm to lens. A cleaning tip is a que-tip with rubbing alcohol. Another tip is to stand your PS2 vertically, then less dust and debri can get on the lens that way

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

:bsflag:

As long as there is a fan activly drawing air into the system, there will be dust in and around the drive mechanism...it is the fate of all optical devices.

6. steveforlife

steveforlife Guest

Ill probably try that and just be very careful.

7. gman2699

gman2699 Guest

Theres a new scientific discovery called gravity, it makes dust and debri difficult to attach itself to a vertical plane.

8. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

The lens is cup shaped... [ with the ) of the lens in the middle...meaning that even VERTICLE dust will collect on the top of the lens ) and on the lower lip of the [

No to mention that putting it verticle also exposes the worm drive to dust partoculate, which it normally isnt horizontal.

But even still, as was said earlier, as long as their is a fan, drawing air through the system, creating a negative air pressure withen the cavity of the PS2, it will atract dust into it, especially if your PS2 sits on carpet. Period.
    There is no way to keep this from hapening, and no magical fix to keep dust out.

9. panterafan

panterafan Guest

it was made by sony, this is your biggest problem

10. integ90

integ90 Guest

The Playstation is made by Philips not Sony. Sony just slaps its name on it.

11. Luni420

Luni420 Boost Addict

Clean it. Buy a Compact Disc Lens cleaner and run it. My buddy had the same problem and his works now after cleaning it.

12. Buckfutter

Buckfutter I :heart: boobs

What games are you having problems on? I am in the industry and there is strong evidense that shows that many PS2's are defective and cannot play CD-ROMs (blue bottom discs).

13. Stinger

Stinger Guest

you really don't have anything to lose.

14. DanDalVlan

DanDalVlan Guest

I know exactly what your problem is, I had the same thing. What you wanna do is unscrew the screws on the bottom of the ps2 (you have to pry up the little black square things). Once you do that you have to remove the pointless sticker on the back of the ps2 that says not to remove... blah blah... then open the ps2, BUT take care to do it slowly, there is a silver wire thing attached to the top of the cd tray that attaches to the top of the case. However, what you will want to do is detach the white sticker holding the silver wire on the top of the cd tray, so that u can move the case top without fear of ruining anything.... THEN you unscrew the top of the cd tray, it has VERY little screws, once you do that you will see the thing in the center of the cd tray that holds the cd in place, there is a little magnet in the middle of it. Now go in ur kitchen and find one of those flimsy kitchen magnets and get an exacto knife or tough scissors and cut a little tiny circle that u can put right on top of the original magnet. Once you do that put everything back together and you should be fine. My ps2 was like 2 yrs old before the magnet wore out, so I'm guessing yours is really old or you never shut it off ;) Well gl i hope that helps, if you didnt understand a part of it IM me, my sn is DanDaLVLan

15. xivera

xivera Active Member

Sony customer service will tell you to run a diagnostic which you can enter through the main PS2 browser. If the problem persists, you may begin cleaning the lens.

16. kanned

kanned New Member

My PS2 started having problems playing any of the standard CDs. It would play DVD games without a problem..

I've searched around and the best fix was take two pieces of scotch tape, and tape around the inner hole on the top. This somehow gives the pickup device a better grip.

I've done this to all of my CD based games since and have not had a problem...

17. Vettegofast

Vettegofast New Member

Then how does dust stick to the walls in my room? :dunno:

18. gman2699

gman2699 Guest

Maybe you didnt realize, but i never said i would NEVER stick to the lens, i said it would be DIFFICULT. Dont dust you walls and your table for a week; i bet there will be more dust on the table then on the wall!

19. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

get soem fiter for teh vents it will help