A&P What's wrong with my Digi-Cam pictures?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by kingfaz, Jan 6, 2003.

1. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

Ok, here's a picture I took using my digital camera:

[​IMG]

Now as we can see, the whole bottom 1/2 region has come out very dark. When I was takin the picture, it was day-light and I could see this whole region easily.

Having adjusted the brightness in Photoshop:

[​IMG]

This is closer to how i could see the view, but now the colours look a bit washed out / faded.

My question is, whats wrong with my camera? Why is the bottom 1/2 coming out so dark?

I have a Fuji Finepix A201

I have options to adjust the Exposure Compensation (EV) and White Balance if that helps.

Help me plz!

2. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

what happens is once the camera focuses for the sunset it then accepts very little light, since the sunset is so powerful. Everything else then gets blackened..this a common ocurrence with many cameras.

3. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

yeh, it seems as though that's wot is happening!

how can i combat this problem?

I have options to adjust the Exposure Compensation (EV) and White Balance if that helps.

4. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

That is a hard shot to take. You could try and do your meetering in the darker area of the shot. That will most likely blow out the sun but it may give you a better color contrast. You could do a double exposure. Where you take the shot twice once for the sun and once for the dark.

5. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Its not really possible to fix... its a exposure problem. You exposed for the sunlight so it handled it. If you expose for the bottom region then you will overexpose your top part. Only way is to take 2 shots and expose them 2 differently then combine the 2 pictures to 1 with Photoshop.

6. car54

car54 Guest

much easier way is to adjust the levels in only the lower portion of the photo in photoshop. I dont know how to do it, but ive done it before. You can select just the lower area of the picture to adjust. this will allow you to bring out the bottom while leaving the top perfect. maybe a photoshop guru will help tell you how.

7. car54

car54 Guest

ok... this is a quick and dirty job. I simply made a new layer, and selected the lower portion of the photo and adjusted the levels in it. You can see where I manually selected the border, and I overdid it just to show this. you can do much better, especially if you start out with a photo that isnt so bad off to begin with. with my nikon, I simply use AE bracketing to select the area of the picture I dont think will come out, this will make the picture come out a little better, then i'll finish it off in photoshop. I dunno if your camera has this or not. My dad works for nikon so I have all nikon gear. never touched another brand of digital.

[​IMG]

8. MerkurMan

MerkurMan Gimme Nuts, Bolts and 12 Volts

Try aiming the camera at the darker area, and holding down the shutter halfway to focus and set the exposure/metering, then re-compose the shot as you like it (without letting go of the shutter) and then press it all the way down to take the picture. :dunno: It might work, it might not. Kind of hit-or-miss.

9. Mancini

Mancini Guest

One thing I've noticed is that I'd rather have a pic come out too bright than too dark. After you adjust the brightness levels in photoshop, the brighter pic will end up looking better and not as washed out as your second example. So maybe metering on a slightly darker part of the shot would work? (as mentioned above) Then, adjusting further afterwards, if necessary.

10. kingfaz

kingfaz PiMP TasTiC

wow, that's sweet! thanks for the help dude

Thanks for everyone else who responded too

11. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

Take aperature reading in sun, then take aperature reading in dark

Select a bumber in between and take a shot, just dont directly into the sun