What's wrong with my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by x3000gtx, Jul 26, 2009.

1. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

Last weekend I purchased a Sony Vaio. The specs are:

Intel Core2 Due: 2.00Ghz

4GB RAM.

It ran fine for the first week, but now i constantly get "Not Responding" errors when using Firefox, IE, or any program that uses the internet. This is the first computer I have owned with Windows Vista and I hate it. Not sure if I should even keep the computer at this point.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

make sure it has SP2 on it, that really adds to the reliability of vista. Also, check to see what's running at start up, there's probably a lot os sony crap that can be removed from the start menu.

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I love it when people have problems that are 99% user error or OEM bullshit and blame vista...

I have not had a single problem with vista ever, but then again it's on a computer that I built and configured.

As for your problem post a list of running processes and Ill tell you what to shut off because likely you have tons of shit running that is unecessary.

4. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

I will do this. It just pisses me off because people like my uncle and girlfriend have laptops with a slower CPU and half the ram, but they run better and are more stable. I am not a computer expert by any means, but I have a much better understanding than them. I will post the processes running whn I get home

5. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

Also, when I click to open any program, it takes at least 30 seconds to pull up

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Check the event log for errors actually. Programs crashing usually mean an internal problem with windows. If its severe it might need to be reloaded.

Right click on my computer, select manage, then look in the windows logs, select application and look in system to. This will give you an idea of whats going on.

Programs crashing can be the result of bad ram as well

7. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

Now that I think about it, since the day I bought it, it has been extremely slow opening ANYTHING. It definitely didn't feel like the display model

8. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I wouldn't jump to hardware just yet until you are getting random restarts or something more serious...

9. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes, install updates
    check for nasties, run malwarebytes or something
    if all else fails, do a system restore

10. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

i just rebooted so only what comes up when the system starts would be shown here. btw, i timed it and it took IE 17.2 seconds from the time i clicked on it to even pop up. wtf. i just bought this computer last saturday and it's not like im installing bonzai buddy and shit.

[​IMG]

11. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Go into the control panel, internet options, advance tab, click restore advance settings, then click reset. THis will put IE back to its original state (as if it was installed new) see if that helps you any

12. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

heres what it shows when i click "show processes from all users". i only have my account and a guest account which i have never logged into.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

i did this earlier today when researching online. no help

14. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

rather than the "not responding" problem, i want to begin by troubleshooting why it takes 20 seconds + to open ANY application i double click on. IE, paint, pokerstars, ANYTHING.

15. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

16. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

just caught your last post... check your drive out. Run some drive tests, smartctl or seatools make sure it isnt dying

17. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

honestly this is bullshit. i have gotten 2 "not responding" errors in IE while refreshing this page and going to that link you referred me to. i think i'm going to just take it back. i dont want to be stuck with a computer that is giving me problems. it sucks, because i felt like i got a steal on it due to a new version coming out and this one going on clearance. i purchased the last one left at the store. the person in front of me bought 3

18. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

well ya if its under warranty id just let them deal with it

19. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

have you tried a system restore? i would at least find out that its not your fault.
    if it functions normally at factory state,... it could be something that you installed and could happen again on the replacement pc. :dunno:

way back,... there was a fuck up update made by kaspersky,... messing up connection settings on games. a lot of WoW faggots were pissed.
    it could be something like that

20. CodeX

CodeX Guest

:eek3:

Holy hell... You have too much shit running, and way to many services. If I were you, I would shut down the vast majority of that, knowing full well it might render some of the OEM shit on the PC innoperative for the time being, and see how the computer runs without all the "extras"...

Here, this is what you can safely shut down, don't even try to do it nicely select it on that list, hit the delete key, then hit yes to the prompt:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, I am serious. Just end each of those processes, if the computer becomes unresponsive just restart it and make a note to skip the last one you did next time. Ending these process is not permanent, you will not mess up your computer doing this, at worse you will need to restart it.

None of those is required for windows, however depending on the hardware in your OEM computer some may be required that I am not aware of, for reference I typically have less than 10 running processes with no programs running, sitting at the desktop

21. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

hey thanks for the help guys. shutting down all those processes didnt seem to help. i did a complete restore and it works flawless now. im going to go with an antivirus program other than kaspersky. what do you all recommend for a good antivirus program. thanks again!

22. x3000gtx

x3000gtx Banned

i probably remember the computer being so slow when i first purchased it because the very first thing i did was install kaspersky and let it install the newest updates. how is windows live one care?

23. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

avast & malwarebytes. that's a solid combo.

24. als54

als54 OT Supporter

What's your thoughts about Spybot?
    Thanks

25. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

also good

i actually recommend using a bunch of anti-malware apps instead of just limiting yourself to 1.
    spybot, hijackthis, ad-aware, and malwarebytes are my top 4.