whats wrong with my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by EE CUMMINGS, Jun 6, 2005.

1. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

brief background:

i have a dell dimension purchased in 2001, i added an 80 gig (2nd hard drive) 1.5 years ago.

i just moved back from college to home and immediately when i came home and booted up my computer i noticed it was REALLY slow. it would take 8 minutes to load up windows compared to the normal 1-2 minutes. the computer would stay stuck on the black background/colored windows logo screen. programs would take forever to load too.

naturally, i ran virus scans, spyware programs and got rid of some spyware and a trojan virus. i also ran an online virus scan at panda just to make sure that my virus program wasn't infected.

after all that, my computer was still really slow. i went out of town this weekend and when i came back and rebooted it took over 10 minutes to reboot. this time however, the computer only stayed on the black background/colored window logo screen for about 5 minutes, then the whole screen would go black for about 5 minutes, then it would go to the windows logon screen.

i had it. i reformatted my hard drive (only the partition that had windows xp on it). i figured this would wipe out everything and make my computer fast again.

wrong. it made it faster but it still takes a good 5 minutes to boot up. programs still take forever to load.

what is wrong with my computer? is my hard drive (the original one that came with the computer) about to bust?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Did you move the *entire* computer (including monitor & peripherals) or just the tower? It might make sense for the comp to start up slower if it's detecting other peripherals and installing them, but still, that would only be the first time, not subsequent bootups. 5 minutes is ridiculous, eight even more so. It's possible that you damaged the HD when you moved it, so I'd suggest running a diagnostic on it. Spinrite is a good program that should help you out.

3. EE CUMMINGS

EE CUMMINGS aka RobHuang

I moved the entire computer, including all the peripherials.

I ran a brief western digital diagnostic program and everything checked out fine. im going to run the full test (the one that takes hours) when i go to sleep.