what's wrong with my car's cdplayer/radio/speakers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jigga, Oct 18, 2004.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

so a year ago i picked up a 93 infiniti j30 for a beater and a few weeks ago the radio/cd player stopped working...kinda. if i pop a cd in and turn the volume all the way up, i can slightly hear the music... it's really really low tho.. if i drive, the engine noise drains it out.

the lights on the radio display do not work either... but i am sure i hear the music extremely faintly.

anyone got any suggestions?

by the way, it's a stock Bose radio. nothing has been upgraded and no other wiring has been done to it.

thanks in advance

2. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

meh safe bet the radio is going out, but there is an off chance the amps are dying. Just change it all and be done with it

3. jigga

change what? the amps or the radio itself?

4. jigga

how can i find out whether its the stock amp(s) that's fucked or if it's the radio?
    i guess my bet would be the amp because I do hear music.. if i didnt, then i'd suspect the radio.
    right?

5. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

you'll have to forgive me but it's been a year or so since i last worked on a j30, but I believe it is similar to a nissan in bose in that there are amps on each speaker. Honestly, the most effective and easiest way to get it all up and running and sounding decent is to change the radio and the speakers (which in turn bypasses the amps I believe).