Whats wrong with my beater accord?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Atheist, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

Its got 206k on it -- when I go around a sharp long left it thumps multiple times and it shakes a bit on acceleration (even light) plus on decel (but the rotors are new). It doesn't `click`, it thumps. The only thing I could see was the bushings on the sway bar ends were bad so I replaced them the other day and it was not better.

This was the case with the old motor and the new (replaced at 203k)

2. errorunknown

errorunknown New Member

It's too old :rofl:

3. heyskippy

heyskippy New Member

It is oldweakandpathetic.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Strut mounts for the thumping while turning.

Motor mounts will help with engine vibration. Your tranny is probably on its last legs, if it shudders when it shifts this is a sign. Your engine may just need to be rebuilt with that many miles on it, or at least take it and get a leakdown test/compression test and see if your compression is still good.

5. todd217e

todd217e New Member

i just think your gay as hell and live hours away from us

6. Atheist

The motor was swapped 3k miles ago with a known-beautiful one

7. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

Maybe the motor was mounted incorrectly, hence why when you corner you hear a thumping sound? :dunno:

8. Atheist

I noticed that when I shake the front left wheel when its in the air i hear a slight noise and a bit of motion that could very wheel be the trailer noise i hear when I go over bumpy roads. I also noticed that the nut doesn't appear to be fully tightened and I think I remeber this being because it wouldn't thread properly. Seems like the looser nut could be the culprit for this.

I am thinking of replacing both of the ball joints and tie rod ends and then having it aligned, I think that this will be my best bet.

9. El Beaner

El Beaner OT Supporter

Replace the wheel stud first, this is a $10 part from Honda and might solve the lug nut not threading issue and might correct it.

Also check your CV axles and make sure that they are good as truning/accelleration/decel are affected by the CV axles.

10. Atheist

The CV's are fine, no clicking just thumping. Remember it did all of this even before it was loose so I believe that I need to replace either the ball joint or the tie rod end. i could repair the threads on the ball joint more than likely but I think it may just be time to replace

Anyone ever done it without any kind of press/autozone? I intend to pull the knuckle, hammer out the old one with a BFH, hammer in the new one with a socket and a slightly smaller BFH, replace tire rod ends, align, done?