GUN Whats WMDs AR stock preference

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Willie J, Aug 7, 2008.

?

AR stock

1. Standard 6-position

26.5%
  2. CTR

44.1%
  3. M93

5.9%
  4. PRS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Vltor standard

5.9%
  6. Vltor Clubfoot

2.9%
  7. SOPMOD

14.7%
  1. Willie J

Willie J New Member

I've been wanting to upgrade my stock from the standard 6 position. Everyone and their dog has a CTR, so i was looking to go another way. maybe SOPMOD or the Vltor one that is similar. So what do you guys have?
    What do you know about the Vltor carbine modstock? Who has them and will they fit a commercial buffer?

2. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

when i build my AR-15 SBR i will go with a Magpul UBR

i have the Magpul PRS on my 18'' AR-15

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I like the UBR although I have no idea if the availability is decent yet or not.

4. Willie J

Willie J New Member

It's been released officially. Forgot to add it to the choices

5. I like the CTR. It's decently priced, simple, and light.

6. itchiban

itchiban New Member

UBR will take it's place as the new hotness soon.

I would use a PRS on a precision rifle though. It's sex.

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I absolutely LOVE my SOPMOD. Nice weight to balance out a SS barrel or rails, locks up tighter than a 14yr old's snatch, and is made of quality materials. I prefer it over the VLTOR one thats similar because my beard wont get caught in it.

8. johnson

johnson New Member

I have a VLTOR E-MOD that's going on a mid-length. The weight will help balance the rifle.

From what ive read

CTR - SBR and light weight rifles
    SOPMOD - maybe or maybe not worth the extra $100 over a normal stock
    E-MOD - heavier but built like a tank
    UBR - much better than the SOPMOD and worth the price

9. sprite

sprite Active Member

The UBR's do look nice and seem like an excellent concept... but too rich for my blood.

If the Sully stock didn't take a proprietary reciever extension I was going to get one of those but ended up ordering a CTR

10. Willie J

Willie J New Member

i also like the ACE m4socom. it looks sexy

11. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

I decided to get a emod because I was sick of magpuls antics with the ubr. I really like it.

12. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

I like my CTR but I'll get the UBR for my next build

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I really really wanted a a UBR. After waiting 3 years I gave up. I won a lmt sopmod and ran it one match. Good stock, but if you run a secondary optic that you roll the gun into the raised cheek thing moves your head out of position. I've settled on the vltor a1 clubfoot w/ the the rubber buttpad (makes it a2 lenght). The vltor is real solid. When I doing ill stuff like 90 degree side prone It does not flex.

Really there is nothing wrong with the standard A2 stock either. Ran it for many many years.

14. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Yar what are you thoughts on the Eotech 516? [/hijack]

15. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

A2 fixed stock.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

As far as red dots go and the technology it is hard to argue that eotech is among the best. I ran a 512 on my AR before I got into competition shooting. I did run it for a few matches and of course it was awesome for the up close stuff but when they asked me to make a 200+ yard shot with the eotech I was at a serious disadvantage. At 300+ yards or 400 yards forget about it.

When it comes to the AR it's a rifle so I believe it should be set up for what rifles are suppose to do and that is to hit things at distance. If I had to use a red dot sight for distance shots I would choose a aimpoint. Just because the recticle is not so busy and I can at least try to do hold overs.

If I wanted a dedicated red dot to shred short range targets I would go with the cmore. With the profile of the cmore you don't see the sight, you just see the dot. It's like everything is wide open.

I guess if I had to pick a dot to go fight a war away from home I'd pick either a eotech or aimpoint.

To be honest for a AR which is a rifle and the amount your paying for a eotech I would go the other direction and get a trijicon accupoint. A variable power scope where you ratchet it down to 1x for the short range stuff and it's as fast as an aimpoint, or crank it up to 4x which is enough magnification for 400 yards. Accupoints can be had for under $500 if you know the secret.

17. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i`ve been thinkin of buying one of those for the beowulf.
    i like the CRT.the PRS is still up in the air.it`s a nice stock but, it`s a fukking brick.

18. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

info on said secret:x:

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If you want the mad deals on the trijicon stuff you have to join the shooters rewards program. You go to their site and you download a PDF and then you fill it out and fax it in. It's for competition shooters. They ask for a USPSA number not sure if you really need one, but whatever.

If/when the approve you they send you a price sheet for all their products. It's like better than 30% off. It's like dealer pricing or better. The accupoints are like $479 list is like $600-$700.

They also send you a sticker, hat, patch, and T-shirt on their dime. You pay nothing to join.

Also if you go to a major match and you place top 3 in your class they give you $$$ towards trijicon stuff. This is of course if you have some sort of trijicon logo on your uniform, and you won using trijicon gear.

This is why Yar rocks the trijicon gear.

Don't be going telling everyone and their brother about this. This really is suppose to be like secret shit. Don't be saying Yar holds out on you fools.

20. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I need to try one, I've always wondered if that actually holds true.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It works really really well. I actually think it's better than just a dot because the trijicon accupoint recticle is kind of like a front sight with the long post, but the center is a illuminated triangle. No matter how sloppy you cheek weld is (or if you even have a cheek weld) you eye sees the post and find the triangle.

The only downside is having to adjust the power up and down if you have to shoot close targets, than far targets, then close targets, etc. This is more a competition thing. Hence I got 2 optics and just roll the gun from one to another.

22. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I love the accupoint. This is my second one. I started with a 1st generation accupoint. I sold that to a buddy and got a 2nd generation accupoint. I'm on the waiting list for the 3rd generation accupoint but this one is going to be a 3x9 mildot. I think I'll still keep my 1x4 but I want something with more magnification as a dedicated long range sight since I have the cmore as my short range optic.

Again my set up and needs are specialized. I recommend everyone else get the 1x4 accupoint. You will not be sorry.

I do not care for the combo eotech or aimpoint w/ magnifier. Too slow to toggle from one to another, Slower than the accupoint for sure. You only have two resolutions that's 1x and 3x. With the accupoint you have 1x-4x and everwhere in between.

Sometimes if I'm shooting several small targets at 100 yards I like 2x. You get some magnification to really pick your shots, but have a fairly large feild of view. If you were to do 3x it would be too much magnification. The more magnification you run the smaller your field of view which means slower to find next target.

23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

But on arfcom everyone says an aimpoint or eotech is faster :mamoru:

For the non-gamer do you think something like the millet 1.1-4 is close enough to the trijicon or is the difference substantial? Do you ever feel like the post on the trijicon is an obstruction to your target?

The main thing keeping me from wanting to try one (cost aside) is that they all seem like pretty heavy units too.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well if you want a dedicated long range optic I think the post on the accupoint does not help. Even still you look at the top 3 gun shooters in tactical class (one optic) they all run the accupoint. Now if you wanted a dual purpose short and long range optic then the post is a benifit at close range. The traditional cross hair recticle is slow for close range.

I looked through a guys millet. I didn;t think it was horrible but the glass is much better on the accupoint. For the money your getting a very good glass with the accupoint. I think the glass is better than a lot of scopes at twice the price. Trijicon has some different recticles not too. For the money if you could not afford the trijicon I think the millet would be fine. Just don't look through a trijicon too many times and you might not get the buyers remorse.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Also here is another secret. Most people on barf don't shoot. They are a bunch of posers who brag about how tactical they are, and how awesome their rifle is.

I don't care how cool your gear is or how high speed your training is. You can either shoot or you can't.