GUN What's with all the suppressed P22's?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Accord, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Accord

Accord New Member

I see a lot of people with supressed P22's, it seems almost common place for a suppressor to be on a P22. Is the P22 exempt from the class III requirements or whatever it's called and that's why so many people have suppressors for them? :dunno:

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

No, it's because it comes prethreaded for a supressor...

So, it's just the tax and price of the supressor. Plus, .22LR becomes really quiet with a supressor. Other larger calibers you'll still have a nice pop. A guy in the army says a supressed 9mm sounds like a balloon popping.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

What's the best way to go about legally buying a suppressor?

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I don't know the details about it so someone else will have to tell you. I'd research it myself though instead of taking word of mouth from someone. I'm not going to be getting a supressor for awhile. Rather get an SBR.

Believe you need to files some forms, get a tax stamp (heard it's $200), and then you'll be able to purchase a supressor.

5. Accord

Accord New Member

fuck that shit.

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

id like one, but I really dont want to be fingerprinted..

7. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Fill out a separate set of forms and pay a $200 tax stamp to the ATF, then find a class III dealer in your area to have your suppressor shipped to. Pay for suppressor plus tax, shipping, and dealer fees, and it's yours.

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I heard that if you are not using a suppressed weapon it must be in a gun safe. And ATF could make a random visit anytme to make sure of this and if it is not in a safe they can arrest you.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The ATF cannot visit anytime. I can only assume the first part is also incorrect, but at $400+ invested in it you'll probably keep it in the safe.

10. Accord

Accord New Member

That is so illegal on so many different levels.

11. Chicane

Chicane Ad Hoc OT Supporter

Not true.

I am going through the process now and I spoke with a BATF local administrator before starting.

Home storage isn't an issue, but the BATF guy did tell me that many "serious" collectors will get safes once they have hardware that requires registration because your name and address is ultimately on lists maintained by the Government and there is always the chance of an agent or government employee going bad and providing information to criminal friends. It's kind of like knowing the exact house to burglarize because you are given a list of what you might find there.

I was told that I should make a copy of my paperwork and keep it in the case I transport the suppressor in. If I am at a shooting range or out in the woods and am questioned by an officer it will certainly diffuse a situation if I can produce the required paperwork.

The process is being fingerprinted, photographed and filling out a form (Form 4). The form must be signed by a Chief LEO or other allowed individual (I got a Circuit Judge).

The $200 tax stamp (fee) was an arbitrary number set in the 1930's solely as a price deemed high enough to keep all but the very rich from affording machine guns. In theroy, the fee should now be in the thousands of dollars, but for some reason it is one part of gun control that hasn't kept up with the times.

My suppressor is in and I have used it, but it is residing with my FFL until the paperwork gets back. I am a few weeks in. It reportedly takes up to 4 months. I have read that they have started doing it faster, but it never takes less than about 60 days.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I dont know how they have to be stored but I doubt random visits, with a c&r license I know they can call you to set up an appointment to look over your recordkeeping books.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

I was wondering where the $200 figure came from, thanks for the history lesson :cool:.

14. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Make sure you notify me when you get it so I can come down and steal it. :o

15. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Thankfully it hasn't kept up.

16. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

:werd:

I hope to God it never does "catch up" ... hell, we're too busy keeping "scary-looking guns" out of law-abiding citizens hands :rolleyes:

17. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

I always thought it was called a compressor/stabalizer on the p22?

18. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

The guy at the gun store told me that stuff about ATF. :dunno:

19. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Gun store guys tend to talk out their ass..

20. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

Here's where that bullshit about "coming in and searching your house" came from :

Back in the day, the ATF used to allow people to have FFL's out of their homes, including Class III FFL's. This means that your place of business is also your home. Since the ATF CAN search your place of business to make sure your ducks are in a row, and your home IS your place of business, they were searching people's homes, sometimes at random. This is not the fault of the ATF, it's the fault of dumbasses who run an FFL out of their homes.

The ATF got away from allowing that for a long time, and required that you have an actual storefront BEFORE you could get an FFL. I have heard that with the increase in internet businesses, they may be allowing home FFL's again. I myself would never do that.

Somehow, like everything else in the gun world, people talk out their asses about this shit, and it gets repeated and distorted a million times over by the time some new guy to the gun world hears it. You do not need a Class III anything to BUY or POSESS Title II/NFA firearms. You simply need a tax stamp. You do not get randomly searched by the ATF.

I'm about to send in my Form 1 for my SBR, I just need to put the magic ink on a check and mail it.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"ya know back in Nam we had those crappy m16's built by mattel that constantly jammed, and the enemy could use our ammo in there ak47's" :mamoru:

22. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

it was never "with the times" to begin with. when they enacted it in 1934, suppressors were about $3-$5.

Can you think of any other product, where you have to pay a 4000% tax?

23. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

And iirc a Tompson cost about $200, hence the reason to double the cost of one. At least that's what I heard.

24. Accord

Accord New Member

:roflwerd:

25. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

OK. I figured that now reading the responces :o