What's the weakest part of my system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NeoPokle, Oct 5, 2007.

1. NeoPokle

NeoPokle Active Member

Ok, my problem is that my system performs fine under normal situations, but is really bad at gaming.

The only games I can play decently well are pretty non-demanding (WoW, UT2004). Farcry and bioshock throw me into unplayability. I would love it if someone could point out what my bottleneck is (vista thinks its the processor).

My basic specs are:

Asus - P5ND2SLI mobo

Pentium D 930 (presler) 3.0ghz
    Maybe an E6600 is in order here

kingston valueram 2.0 ghz (667 ddr2 5300) :o

evga geforce 6600 gts
    step up program waiting list here I come

psu is some 550-600 watt decent brand, I can't think of it right now.

running vista 32-bit (64 on the way).

Thanks for your help I've tried OCing and I can't get much performance out of this system!

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

bottleneck for bioshock is the 6600gts

3. NeoPokle

NeoPokle Active Member

But can an 8800 really save my system? I'd like to think yes but I think new RAM and then proc are necessary (in that order).

Maybe I can get by with just a good video card.

4. Skankin'

Skankin' We are Ginger. We do not forgive. We do not forget

No, just the vid card would do it IMO, but if you want to upgrade your RAM and CPU, it would do much better, but for the gaming, your vid card is the bottleneck.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

That proc and ram are slow compared to current chips, but they are still not that bad to cripple your system. I'm sure it will still handle anything you throw at it.

Just upgrade the vid card.

6. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

It's definately the video card, but of course upgrading the other parts would help as well.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

The weakest part of your system is the missing hard drive.

:mamoru:

Or rather, I know you have one, but clearly your attention is focused elsewhere since you didn't even think to list it. I'm still running an Athlon XP 3000+, and it does everything I need it to -- it even loads virtual machines significantly faster than my work computer -- and it's due in large part to the hard drive RAID that I have. About a year and a half ago, I figured out that the one thing that was really bottlenecking my computer was when it had to go to the hard drive to get data, so I dropped $600 on a three-disk RAID with Raptor drives in it, and all's been well ever since.

Look at it this way: your hard drive is about 3 million times slower than your CPU, and about 1 million times slower than your RAM/motherboard. From the computer's perspective, getting data from the hard drive is like sailing to China to buy exotic spices -- don't hang out by the docks waiting for the shipment to arrive. Anything you can do to reduce that lag will improve your system's overall performance, especially when loading programs, games, deathmatch arenas, etc...

EDIT: I see you have Vista. Do you have 1GB of USB FLASH memory plugged into the back of the machine, for Vista to use as ReadyBoost? If you don't, drop a few bucks to get some. You can find benchmarks online for who has the fastest USB FLASH drives.

8. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

I doubt that any of what you just said will do much at all to improve his performance in the latest games. It would improve normal application/OS performance, but it won't help him play Bioshock.

9. thebox

thebox New Member

upgrade vid card fo sho

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yeah, he needs a new video card to play Bioshock. Be that as it may, the HDD is still the weakest part of his system.