Whats the stupidest thing youv done to your pc?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mustang5oh, Mar 10, 2005.

1. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

I gotta put it in here, every other tech forum iv been to has this thread.

My stupidest thing iv ever done was hmm, I let my mother in law use it.. she installed weatherbug, comet cursor, oh and she installed kazaa

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Installed an expansion slot cover (the metal pieces that cover unused PCI, ISA, AGP slots) while the machine was on. The bottom of it missed the slot it was supposed to slip into and touched the mobo. Tripped the circuit in the power supply, rebooted the machine and everything still works OK.

:o :o :o

3. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

lol funny. i got a bunch. Back befor the case mod days, i wanted light in my case. So i decided to use a blue car headlight, wired it into the 1a circuit, blew the psu the second i hit power

4. www.techdo.com

www.techdo.com New Member

cleaned from dust the power supply fan with a (wrong) compressed air spray.
    When i powered on the PC literally exploded :big grin:

5. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

i worked at this tech shop a while back,, this customer had a really dirty mobo. so i pulled it out and ran it under the water faucet to clean it off, scrubbed it with a light brissled toothbrush.. the guy was fuckin freakin out,,,, ahhhh you cant do that, you owe me for a new board...... and let me tell you, water is perfectly fine to use, as long as you use an alcohol board cleaner afterwards.. it blasts all the water off and then evaporates so you have a totally clean waterfree board. lol the guy was dazzled when it worked afterwards

6. EagerZeroedThick

EagerZeroedThick New Member

too much work there to just clean a board :hsugh:

7. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

yea i know it was. i just got tired of co2 cans, all they do is blow the dust out and then you breath it in and makes ya sneeze.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Back in the days of disk compression, I deleted my dblspace.bin(?) file. I needed to delete some hidden files from the root of whatever drive was hosting the dblspace file so I cleared the attributes and used a wildcard delete. Oops. I immediately realized what I'd done and tried to undelete it but it didn't work. After rebooting, the drive was gone. I had to reload everything on it but luckily I had a recent backup.

9. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

ah i got too many stories. My wifes pc was a pos hewlette packard, i got tired of listening to her 5400rpm hd grinding. so one day while she was at worked, i put a 15krpm scsi controller and drive in it. Iwas excited to make it faster without her knowing, ugh such a geek. So i was doing a drive copy with ghost,, and in the middle of it, the fuckin power went out at our house. When i came back on, i rebooted to a blue screen grrrr, was one of those ones that the recovery console couldnt even fix. So i yanked the controller and drive out and let it be. The next day i got a call while i was at work, sayin,, whats wrong with my pc? I told her that her pc got the blaster virus*dummy mode on* and that i would have to reformat it.

10. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

hmm

pc: probably the time i put the wrong type of simm in a pc and when i turned it on, smoke started coming from the slot.

network: not sure which of these is worse. i knew that these token ring nics defaulted to 4Mb and we were on a 16Mb ring, but i plugged it in and turned on the machine before changing the nic speed. about 16 people start going, "hey my computer stopped working"

or the time i had to fix a problem with arcserve and the instructions from cheyenne read something like this:

1. delete the arcserve queue object
    2. something i don't remember, like a paragraph long
    3. note: if you have multiple servers using the same queue object, do not delete it!

guess who didn't read step 3 until he had already done step 1. that was a few hours OT

11. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

ha great. bet ya had a few ppl gettin pissed at you. I was int he wiring closet, i disconnected the wrong fiber channel. Within a few minutes, proabaly about 300ppl were calling our helpdesk askin why hte network was down

12. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

submerged it in oil.....

13. MrMan

MrMan New Member

What type/brand alcohol do you use?

14. col_panic

whoopsee :noes:

15. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Installed and removed RAM while the computer was running.

16. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Was fixing to do a reformat on a laptop anyways, so i thought i'd test the whole Magnet erasing the hard drive theory. Used too strong of a magnet while it was still running, and the read/write arm gouged itself into the platter at 54k RPMs.

17. mustang5oh

mustang5oh New Member

was a while back. It was a little black spray bottel with yellow lettering, all i can remember lol

18. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Added a window kit, lights, and modded my cd face plates, and power button to match the case.

19. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

rm -rf when I was in /etc

WTF was I thinking?

20. col_panic

:eek3:

i've done it from /

but it was on purpose - wanted to see what would happen. i was real impressed the box didn't crash. course it ... wasn't much good afterward

21. bleak

bleak Guest

:rofl:

Once I did: chown -R root.root /

22. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

1) Installed a AT PSU blind (case was too small to look in) and was off by 1 pin. Once you release that blue smoke.... well.... glad it wasn't my PC. Work bought the customer a new motherboard.

2) Trying to remove a heat sync off a chipset, my screw driver slipped, hitting some of the pins, and bending them together. I changed the heat sync, booted it up and heard a POP! ;) Work bought the customer a new motherboard.

3) Placed a power supply cable for a floppy drive off by one pin. Yet again blue smoke and a killed PSU! That was a work system, so they replaced it.

4) Dragged a computer behind a MR2!

Ive noticed when I get careless (as posted above), I fuck up more. I REALLY hated my PC repair job. I'd like to see how much I could cost the company. But i NEVER broke anything on purpose, well maybe for #4

23. arnderson

arnderson New Member

I turned my cpu fan down to see how hot it was ( i was going to turn it back on) and forgot about it. Consiquently it shut off, let it cool off and it was ok. Big newb mistake i guess.

24. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

1. My first PC, I low level formatted an IDE drive (from BIOS). Thank goodness for warranty repair...

2. Built a case-less test bench machine. Worked great until I hot swapped a video card.

3. I didn't do this, but I had to look it over: customer shoved a pencil in the power supply to see what it would do. It mangled half of the pencil and cooked the power supply. Motherboard and other parts were ok, if I remember correctly.

4. Powered a machine hit by lightning over the phone line to watch it smoke.

25. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Nothing, really.

I once took out a PCI modem when the machine was plugged in, but not on, and fried it :hsugh:.

Thank god I did that. I finally had an excuse to buy a new one...That one was HORRID. It never connected right...