MMA Whats the risk of brain damage if I take up boxing?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by PaddoK, Nov 17, 2006.

1. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Serious quesiton. I've been wrestling for a little bit, but I've ALWAYS wanted to do boxing. Maybe not even seriously, but just learn how to use all the heavy bags and shit.

But does sparing and taking hits to the head permanently fuck up your brain? It seems like most boxers are pretty retarded outside the ring.

2. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I bet most were pretty retarded outside of the ring before they took up boxing.

3. tidbits

tidbits the POPE

Fairly low, barring a freak accident. The guys with brain damage are professionals who have had a long career and history of blocking shots with their face.

4. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

You've got to be a little retarded to get punched in the face for a living in the first place.

As an amateur or simply training boxer you will be fine. The brain damage is what occurs from professional matches where guys who are 6'2" 240 go at it putting everything they have into their fight because they want to win. Sparring and training will not bring these results.

5. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

and, for the most part you should be wearing headgear.

6. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

Phew good to hear. Wrestling is bad enough. I hate going down to the mat hard, hitting your head, and then getting back up and trying to move. It's like someone covered you in glue.