What's the right to lower a truck?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by S13Koop, Sep 5, 2004.

1. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

Specifically a '92 Chevy truck(not extended cab)
    I only have experience with Nissan(240sx) & Honda suspension(civic, integra)
    and this truck suspension I'm not too familiar with.
    Things I've heard that are used:
    Cut springs(not my style)
    Shackles
    Dropped spindles
    Flip kits
    :dunno:
    Have no idea what those setups consist of so I need a clue here.
    Also what are some good brands to go with? I'm looking for quality here.
    tia

2. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

Don't want to go with bags, just want to bring the truck down a bit and get rid of the wheel gap BUT I'd still like to maintain a comfortable ride.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

lowering truck without bags is not a comfortable ride at all

4. FlameRedXJ

FlameRedXJ Professional Lurker!

Dropped spindles in front. Usually seems to be a better way. Its easier to align the truck afterwards, versus drop coils. So I've heard anyways.

5. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

Depending on what you want for a drop. I'd start off with drop spindles, and a flip kit for the rear (around a 2/4 drop). After that if you'd like to go lower you can pick up coils and shackles. Are you going to be running stock wheels/tires?

6. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

yea, I just want to bring it down a bit, look a little more aggressive instead of the slant look it has now all high in the rear
    Do most shops (specifically in Houston) carry Belltech?

7. ijustwantpics

ijustwantpics New Member

Go with Summit for your Belltech stuff.. you really can't beat the price and all you pay is handling... so you save a shit load

8. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i just droipped my s10 ill take the harshenss over the old body roll any day it rides like a 70s vette

9. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

wow, u were right, I can't believe how cheap the kits are compared to import coilover suspension!! :eek3:
    A complete 3"/4" front rear WITH 4 shocks & shackle/hanger kit for under $500 vs JDM brand TEIN, Zeal, etc $1500-200,
    I'm like this!

10. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

Dropping a truck is easy and cheap. I dropped mine 4" for only a few bucks. Some nice shocks and it rides better than stock now. Handles a LOT better too, and is a blast drifting.

Front:
    Ball-joint relocation ($30 in nuts and bolts, 3 1/2" drop)
    Eibach lowering springs ($75 - stiffer and stronger, 1" drop)
    KYB Gas-A-Just shocks ($27/ea - GREAT ride)

Rear:
    4" tapered steel blocks ($50 at a local off-road shop)
    KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (same as front)

[​IMG]

11. nestorlinks

nestorlinks forever new

12. KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan ♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖

13. CletusJones

CletusJones 329 N. Dearborn

it all depends on what you're going to be doing with the truck. If you want it lower and would like to keep the same load capabilities, you would most likely want to go with a dropped spindle and a hanger kit for your leafs in the rear. It won't change your front suspension geometry and you'll be able to continue using stock alignment settings if you like. Doing this would probably cost you a couple hundred dollars, and you can still use your stock length shocks all around.

Personally, I prefer changing springs. I've got the full Hotchkis 2/3 on my dakota and love it. It rides really hard, my girlfriend hates it because she can't put makeup on in the truck while we're moving. You can't beat the handling though, the stiff springs, stiff swaybars, and specially valved bilsteins make it handle like it's on rails. I've also got a Kenny Brown X-brace that stiffened up the frame like you wouldn't believe. I can almost keep pace with my dad's Z3 BMW over slaloms and technical courses when I've got the right tires on.

It all depends on what you're looking to do with the truck. If you're just looking to get it lower to look better, then you would be fine with spindles and hangers, but if you're serious about handling performance you need to change the springs. I'd stay away from blocks, they weaken your rear suspension and you'll have rediculous problems with axle wrap if you've got a V8, not to mention you'll get hung up in carwashes because your springs will be too low.

Here's a couple pics of my lowered truck:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Error

Error ¿ti†le øut-of_order

Nice Dakota

Adding new front springs last week DEFINITELY improved my handling. I'm 5" lower than stock on stock-length KYB Gas-A-Just shocks and the ride is wonderful. Stock spindles and leafs too actually. 4" blocks out back and some re-arranged ball joints up front and I'm good to go.

I use mine mostly for daily-driving and weekend drifting. Handles like a dream being so low. Some lo-pro tires and a new rear sway bar are in the near future.

BTW Blocks in the rear didn't hurt my ride at all. Even with the large drop, and 1,000lbs of cargo in the bed, the 1,400 mile trip from Miami, FL to Washington DC was not too bad.

15. CletusJones

CletusJones 329 N. Dearborn

Thanks, I try to keep it nice. :)

Just be careful with those blocks, they have a tendancy for cracking if you got the cast ones. Your truck is a 4cyl, right? With anything more powerful than a 4, you get pretty wild axle wrap. If I had 3" blocks on mine, there'd be no way I could do the extensive autocross that I do with it now, and when I hit the 70 shot, it would be unmanageable. I've heard horror stories from guys in the R/T club about blocks, so I always recommend people staying away from them for anything for more than 1 or 2 inches. YMMV.