What's the quietest prebuilt computer manufacturer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by powershot, May 17, 2007.

1. powershot

powershot What else is new

I'm getting sick of the noise my computer makes, sounds like a Dustbuster or something. I already used a quiet CPU fan (Zalmann something) and a quiet PS (Fortran 400W), and my case is supposed to be alright (Antec Sonata). Anyway, sick of this crap, I want something quiet and I just want it quiet out of the box. Who should I go with? HP, Dell, Gateway, etc?

And when I buy a new computer, it will usually come with Vista home. Is it worth spending money to upgrade that crap? I know I can download it and all that, but I'm really freaking lazy when it comes to computers now. I would rather pay money and have it installed than waste my time reinstalling a pirated copy, if it's actually worth it.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you're gonna be unhappy with mainstream pre-builts.

3. powershot

powershot What else is new

Unhappy with their performance or with their noise? From my past experience, it seems like prebuilt computers are much quieter.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

^^ both ^^

5. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

My college just bought like 100 Dell dual core PCs, they are very very small and quiet, you can't even tell when they are on. I don't know what model they are and the dell website isn't responding right now :dunno:.

6. emorphien

emorphien New Member

In my experience I've often been surprised with how quiet a lot of the Dell models are, but it varies. Some are, some aren't. I've never found the HPs to be particularly quiet.

7. imraven52

imraven52 New Member

i'll build it. how much u got?

8. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Do you game much?

I know how you feel, I really got fed up with the noise - and heat - that my desktops used to put out. I had to ditch my desktop a few months before I left NZ and had to use my laptop as my primary machine, and it's just brilliant, I wish I'd done it earlier. I don't play games much anymore (though it can run a lot, it has a mobility radeon). There's no desktop footprint, light, very quiet and cool, and of course wireless and can move around with it.

Sure you get more bang for your buck for the desktop, but that's always going to be the case. At least laptops are way cheaper nowadays, and they can pack a lot of grunt.

But yeah, if you're still into cutting edge games, no chance.

If you still want a gaming rig, you'll have to research cases and various other materials and build your own.

9. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

all the desktops from hp and dell here at work and my old place are quiet... all of my dells at home are quiet as well. can't even tell that they are on.

another note, you don't want the preinstalled OS from the manufacturer, it's filled with crap and junk. better to do a fresh install of the OS right when you get the box.

10. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I used to have the same problem with loudness. I took all my HD's except my primary and put that in another box and run it as a server. Killed all the heat issues with 4 HD's running in one box in my already warm room. Then I decided to try out a microatx case I had laying around from a dell and it is whisper quiet. Only time I ever hear it is when my raptor is cranking away. So just a thought before you go and buy a whole new computer, it may be your case that is soo loud.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My desktop PC is a custom-built rig in a Gigabyte case lined with Nexus DampTek insulation. It has a 460W Vantec iON2 power supply with a single 120mm fan in it (I recommend the layout, not necessarily the brand, though I've had no issues with Vantec thus far), a Swiftech CPU heatsink, a fanless Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS video card, and an Asus motherboard with a fanless nVidia chipset. It has three WD Raptor hard drives in a hot-swap enclosure that takes up two 5.25" bays, and the enclosure has an 80mm SilenX fan blowing air out the front of the drive trays. The CPU heatsink has a 92mm SilenX fan on it, and a 120mm SilenX fan is attached to the bottom of the case (with Velcro, to reduce noise and allow removal) where it blows air on the PCI cards and video card. All air intake vents are covered with 120mm air filters to reduce dust intake and reduce noise escapage.

The only time I hear the thing is when the hard drives are seeking, and even then it's only because Raptors are about as quiet and subtle as their name implies. The hot-swap enclosure really helped to reduce noise from the Raptors, though, since they're no longer bolted directly to the case.