What's the optimum temperature when treating leather?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Moistfly, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Moistfly

Moistfly Anal Bum Cover

I've heard some people say over 70 degrees F is fine, others 80, some people just say do it on the hottest day you can ... will the temperature make a huge difference? :dunno:

Also, didn't see any recommendations in the product review thread, so what does everyone prefer to use for leather protectant (it's brand new leather so it doesn't really need to be cleaned or treated in any way yet)

2. XPX

XPX New Member

warm to hot (70-85F) seems to be the best time because the leather would accept more protectant and release any embedded dirt (if any)....that's what common sense tells me.

3. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Well first off, I disagree with you that brand new leather doesn't need conditioning. If anything, brand new leather needs conditioning MORE than older leather, so that it doesn't get hard and brittle (causing creases and cracks). You're just doing preventative maintenance to keep the leather looking like new.

As far as the temperature, honestly the hotter the better. Leather is a porous material, much like human skin. When cleansing your face, you're told to wash it with warm water first to open up your pores, making them able to accept more cleaners and release more dirt/oil. The same is true for leather -- the hotter the temp, the more open the pores in the leather will be, and the more dirt it'll release. And, the more conditioner it will accept. :)

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I've detailed cars with leather interiors in temperatures ranging from 30 to 110 degrees in the full sun and temperature seems to have no effect on cleaning or protecting.

Any quality leather conditioner is fine.

5. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

I have been known to crank the car and get the A/C going to cool things down a bit. Maybe that's for me and not the leather!

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I would agree that it doesn't affect the dressing/cleaning application, but the hotter the temp, the longer the conditioner lasts and the longer the seats stay clean (because they were "deeper cleaned" than normal.

That's why Leatherique says to let the interior bake in the sun or similar spot for a couple hours after applying rejuvinator oil and prestine clean....