What's the new hotness in video cards?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by 2xPutt, Aug 23, 2009.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

Not really planning on too many high end PC games, but would like to plan for the future if possible. What's a good, cheap video card?

I have a Dell Inspiron, I'm not sure if that can help with anything. I don't know if it's PCI Express or any of that other talk I hear my friends talking about.

2. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

You should figure out what you have now first... if you have a shitty proc, a better vid card won't always do as much as you may think. Find whats bottlenecking your system and upgrade that first.

3. somethingstrang

somethingstrang Active Member

HD 4850 is pretty cheap now at 100

If you want to go lower, then the 9800GT at 90 which is nearly just as good.

Or if you want to go eve lower, then 9600GT at 75, which will also do the job at medium resolutions for future games.

As long as your computer is not like 4+ years old, I think you should be ok with the pci express 2.0 thing.

But I agree with memo, if you have a shitty cpu, then your cpu will be the limiting factor. What's the model # on that thing?

4. Jcxzero

Jcxzero OT Supporter

if you don't know if it's PCI Express or not then we can't help you either

5. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Radeon 4850 or GeForce GTX260 are the best single-slot PCI-E cards for their price.

:werd: Figure that out first.

6. Los

Los Active Member

Do you have a fatboy Inspiron? Slims probably won't fit anything over a midrange card because of size. My 285 GTX is massive. Single GPU option is 285, which is the best but not exactly cost effective. Best bang is 260 imo. Your Cpu can make a difference too. I recommend upgrading that to at least a E7xxx series or better (quad core pref.).

7. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

Rockin' my ATI 4850 512mb. Although I don't really PC game that much anymore.

8. assclown

assclown Active Member

Not to thread hijack, but will I see a considerable improvement with either of those cards? Here are my system specs. I think I built this two years ago. :hs:

Abit IP35E
    Q6600 G0
    2GB memory (forget the specs, would upgrade this as well)
    8800GT

Thinking about building a new system but maybe I can keep my mobo/cpu for now. :dunno:

9. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

i had a e8400 @ stock, with a 4870x2, 4gb ram and there was nothing i tried to play that i couldnt play maxxed out @ 1680x1050

10. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

I had a Q6600, P35 mobo, 4GB of RAM and an 8800GTS 512 before I upgraded my GPU. I got the Radeon 4890 because it was on sale for $20 more than a 4850. Games like SF4 & Dead Space would struggle at everything maxed out @ 1680x1050. Now it eats absolutely everything up. I've been playing Dead Space, after fixing the vsync problem, it runs at 60FPS everything maxed, looks beautiful for when one wants to shit their pants. I suspect this should last another year and a half/two years :coold:. The 4850 WILL give you a noticeable improvement, I would say, and they are pretty cheap these days so minus whale if you game on PC.

11. Los

Los Active Member

When playing games that involve massive GPU computation then yes. On wow, no.

12. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Yeah it's weird, I thought my PC would eat WoW. Realized I had my WotLK trial on my account still so I activated, logged in, put all settings on Ultra... FPS fluctuates 45-60 constantly while just running around Tauren Mill :hs: I thought it would be a steady 60.

13. Los

Los Active Member

Wow is more dependant on your cpu than gpu. Take vertical sync off and BAM! You'll be in the 100s.

14. fakeyfakerson

fakeyfakerson OT Supporter

go flying over northrend and you'll see that dip into the 30's at times.