GUN What's the hotness for 77/22 stocks?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Other than Volquartsen I can't find any aftermarket stocks for the 77/22. I'm sure I can have one custom made for an asinine amount of money, but I'd prefer not to do that. Does anyone know of a place that offers stocks for the 77/22? I want to make a mini version of my 700 to practice with and I'd like to match the style of the stock on the 700 as closely as I can.

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Might be difficult. I assume B&C doesn't make one?

McM makes at least one that I know of. The factory laminate is supposedly pretty decent as well.....

3. B&C doesn't make one. The factory one is ok but you have to sand the shit out of it to fit a .920" barrel, and based on the factory stock on my dad's 77/22 that wouldn't leave much material on the stock near the front. I'll see if I can find any pricing on the McM. Volquartsen makes one but it has a big cheekpiece which I hate, and it wouldn't make a very good scaled down clone of my 700.

My other option is to toss a scope on my 10/22 and pick up B&C's new target/varmint stock, which is basically the same stock that I have for my 700. It would be interesting to see how accurate my TacSol barrel is.

4. This is all I can find on McM's site for the 77/22.

[​IMG]

5. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

I don't know a whole lot about the 77/22. How close is the diameter of the receiver to that of the 700?
    Would it be possible to modify a 700 stock, and/or make an adapter to get the 77/22 into a 700 stock?

6. That's a good question. I'd have to measure, I don't know off the top of my head.

EDIT: Actually, from the look of it I bet the action is way smaller. The pic of the gun in post #4 shows that the receiver is just a little bigger in diameter than the barrel, and I bet the barrel is a .920" barrel. That should work out to a receiver diameter of about an inch, maybe a little more. The 700 action is probably closer to 1.5"

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

If I'm not mistaken, that TacOps stock is just a regular stock built up with Devcon on the wrist/forearm area.

I don't think you could modify a normal A series McM to fit. I'm wanting to say that the action itself is to short (vertically) to fit. Hence the big thing with everyone going to the Sako Quads.

That McM is the one I was thinking of. I have no dealings with one though. If I were you, I'd call Thomas Manners, and McM and just straight up ask them if they have any stocks that will fit. Used to be no one wanted to build full-size trainers, and most stock makers reacted accordingly. Now it's all the rage with the high ammo prices, and several people are getting into the game.

Betting the 10/22 would be the cheapest/easiest route......

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Remmy's are 1.350" round.

9. :hs: I really don't want to spend that much on a stock. I'm leaning more and more towards the 10/22 again. All I need is the $163 B&C stock and then a decent cheap scope. Then I can take my FastFire off my 10/22 and put it on my 22/45. That would be fun.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Kinda what I figured. That would start to become a pricey trainer.

10/22 sounds like the winner. Snag one and tell me what's up with it. I've been eying another 10/22 build anyways, and wanted to see WTF.

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

12. It's a shame that Brownells doesn't list it. Stocky's Stocks has it, I'll probably get it from them. I wonder how well my TacSol barrel will shoot. My Shilen that Laurel has shoots amazingly well with Wolf or SK. If the TacSol doesn't work well I might get another of those or try the Kidd match barrel.

13. I know. That's easily over a grand though, and I really don't want to be that far into it. :wtc:

14. Actually, stocky's is out of them. Midway has them for a little more.

15. Ordered. Now I just need a decent, cheap scope.

[​IMG]

16. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

sheesh, you change your mind too quickly.
    I think you should make yourself a stock for the 77/22. Find some nice walnut, get your pocket knife out, and have at it.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Hahah. Shit. That rifle is prolly $3k. Integral suppressor, plus Jesus (AKA Mike R.) himself build it. Probably comes with his famous 1/44444min GUARANTEE*. As a plus though, he does time all the action screws to line up the same way :mamoru:

Kidd's sale on barrels is making me want one kinda bad. Specifically, I'd like to give his lightweight tube a wring-out.

18. I was wondering about the lightweight barrel myself. I'll have to see how well the barrel I have shoots though, as it's half the weight of the Kidd.

19. The more I looked into the cost of things, the more :wtc: I got.

20. sickmonkey44

sickmonkey44 01

If you don't have the 77/22 yet the 10/22 route is cheaper.

I just got a new 10/22T, threw a 3-9 scope and the complete VQ trigger group in it. Fucking fun, and put a few thousand rounds through it without caring about cost.

21. I don't have the 77/22. I'm currently using my dad's, and he'd be mad if I modded the hell out of it. I do however already have a built 10/22. The other advantage to the 10/22 route is that I already have a Kidd trigger in it from its previous life, so really all I need is a scope (I actually have 2 scopes for it, but they're a little cheaper than I'd like) and the stock I ordered.

22. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

23. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm an asshole.... my apologies.

Was browsing around myself, and still didn't see many offerings. Did notice that Randy @ CPC offers fairly cheap K-Hornet conversion... ;)