What's the hot hardware right now?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GCEX, Jan 25, 2007.

1. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

The last PC I built, the one I'm currently using, was in summer of 2003. It's an AMD Barton core 2500+ with 1GB RAM and a 9700pro. I'm so freaking behind the latest stuff right now.

What's the latest hardware out that one would put into a gaming rig?

Also what's the best CPU/motherboard combo for overclocking if I decide I want to go on a smaller budget?

2. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

Core 2 Duo and GeForce 8800s will put you way at the top end.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

for a month (on the 8800s)... but I'm probably still going with an 8800GTX myself.

4. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Those cards on newegg are like $500+. :sad2: Are there any good options, like 7XXX series, for SLI?

5. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

8800s are DX10 compliant, and blow everything else out of the water by huge bounds. If I were building a new comp, I'd much rather spend the cash on something that will last, rather than less on something that's already outdated.

6. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Well put.

The 7950GT is a decent card, for the price. SLi still isn't mainstream enough to be taken full advantage of. I would spend $500 on a GTS, or $600 on a GTX (cheaper with rebates right now) over $600 for 2 7950GTs. Once SLi supports more games, add another card to give you a couple more years of service from your computer.

I'm going with a single GTX now. In a year or two, when 2 new generations of video cards have been released, hopefully SLi will have more support and I'll add a 2nd GTX to prolong my machine for another 2 years (or at least I hope to get 4 years out of 2 GTXs).

7. GCEX

GCEX Drifting Along

Thanks for the input on video cards.

What's a good Intel motherboard for overclocking?

8. freezepop

freezepop New Member

The 8800s are a bit dangerous. The technology is solid and GeForce is a reliable company but the market is so turbulent right now be careful not to overpay. I would go with a GTS ($300 after rebate on TigerDirect.com). It's solid won't let you down and you aren't gonna get pissed next week when the new card comes out.

9. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

The Nvidia Nforce 680i chipset is the hot one right now, eVGA makes a nice board with that chipset, lots of features and sli ready.

Pair a Core 2 Duo E6600, an 8800GTX and that eVGA board and you're going to be set for a long time.

10. Wickedld9

Wickedld9 New Member

Good suggestions here... but if you can hold off a few weeks ATI will be launching thier DirectX 10 line of cards which will lower prices of everything else on the market. I know the old line of if you wait for the next best thing you'll never upgrade but at the insane prices the NVIDIA cards are at it's worth waiting it out 6-7 weeks. ;)

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I forgot to mention, whatever you do, don't save a couple of bucks on the power supply, get a good one, PC Power & Cooling, Seasonic, Antec, OCZ.