GUN What's the etiquette for trading used guns?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by fire, Nov 21, 2008.

1. fire

fire New Member

Hi guys,

I've got a Ruger P89T in excellent condition with 2 10 round clips and one 16 rd. Light use, maybe 500 rounds through it total. I bought it about 5 years ago for a first handgun just to shoot around. Now I have a CCW and want something smaller to carry. I've been looking at the KelTec, Taurus and Glock compact models. I took the gun to local shops today to look around and possibly trade for something. I figured it would be easier than trying to sell around here. I got numbers from $125 to $200, when they were selling used for double that or more. What's a typical markup on used? Is negotiation out of the question? I found a nice KelTec P11 for $260. I asked the guy at a locally owned shop if he would meet me halfway at $230 and he looked at me like I was crazy. Is this gun not worth anything anymore? I would have been happy with $250.

Thanks for any tips on the next go round of shops.

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

private sale, you'll always get screwed at the dealer if you want the most money

(also the keltec p11 is poopy, buy something better)

3. fire

fire New Member

Yeah, I figured I'd take some of a hit, but damn.

And what suggestions for a 9mm carry do you have? I was looking at the Taurus Milennium Pro, KelTec P11 and Glock 26.

4. The G26 is nice. Also, the Kahr PM9 and CW9 are nice guns.

5. attomica

attomica Active Member

Of course, there will be differing opinions, but I recently acquired a Taurus Millenium Pro (PT-145) and I am very happy with it. It fits my hand nicely and has good balance. The recoil is not bad at all for a compact .45 because of its dual captive return spring. I have sent a little over 500 rounds through it without a malfunction of any kind. It gets my recommendation. I know you said you want a 9mm. They make a 9mm version of this gun, the PT-111.

6. Stump

Stump Member

A dealer will offer you 50%, or less, of what he feels he can sell it for.

7. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

just make sure the FTF transaction you see they are from the same state

if anything feels weird, walk away