Whats the difference between these two? Corsair XMS

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Beason, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Beason

Beason They call me "The Stig"

2. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

The $273 has CAS Latencies of 5-5-5-12, which is significantly slower, but has a voltage of 1.9v. The lower voltage is good if you don't know how to flash your BIOS as many of the LGA 775 motherboards had compatability problems with 2.1 and 2.2v memory chips on their early BIOS.

In all honesty, though, if you're about to buy the motherboard now the odds of it having a crappy BIOS version are slim. In that case go ahead and grab the $276 version which is rated for CAS latencies of 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v.

It's an extremely good set of memory chips and if you should be able to easily overclock a Conroe to run 1:1 with it.

3. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Actually I want to thank you. I was going to get an ABIT AB9 motherboard but after checking out that P5B-E I think i'll go with it, as i'm liking the south bridge IDE placement alot better.

Now I just need to email them and ask them about whether or not their MB can boot off a USB floppy drive.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Just to confirm something I think I learned from here months ago...when you say "overclock a Conroe to run 1:1 with it", you mean "overclock a Conroe-compatible motherboard to run 1:1 with it", right?

5. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

No, it means matching the FSB of the CPU to the memory to attain a 1:1 ratio and acheive optimal performance. Something in the Conroe archetecture makes a 1:1 ratio with the memory provide a substantial boost.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That's...what I said...

...and it's not a Conroe thing that makes FSB/RAM matching a good thing. IT works on all motherboards.