What's the difference between DVD+RW/+R and DVD-RW/-R ?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lacuta, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Lacuta

Lacuta :OG:

I'm looking at buying a DVD burner for my computer (or getting one for Christmas :naughty: ) and i see all of this +R and -R crap. I've also seen it dvd players that listed being able to play +r or -r.

Anyone know what all of this means? :wiggle:

2. D3aC0n

D3aC0n Vesa ToskaLOL OT Supporter

they're the same... except that one format is sometimes more compatible than the other when used in standalone dvd players. You could always get a dual format burner that burns both - and +

3. Dustro

Dustro New Member

DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 92% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 75% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 86% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 75% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

check this link for all you ever wanted to know and more...

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd.htm