Whats the deal with soy?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Kooomar, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kooomar

Kooomar .

So, I've been doing some research, and hearing both sides of the stories, whether or not soy is bad for you. And have heard both sides of the stories between whey and soy protein powder.

People generally lean towards whey, but I'm just curious, whats so bad about soy?

2. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

raises estrogen

3. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

what he said ^^

and nice white castle av....mmm

4. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

There are some studies that show that it is possible that the phytochemicals in soy could raise estrogen levels. Brolies for some reason read this as bitch tits and claim that it is kryptonite. Which is over reactionary, but it still happens.

Soy is a good protein. But I seem to remember whey is cheaper?

5. Kooomar

Kooomar .

From what I read, soy is 2 bucks/lb cheaper, which in the long run is fairly nice.

Have also heard the estrogen comments, but again, on the other side, some scientists say that its no noticeable effect.

6. Kooomar

Kooomar .

Studies have suggested that the phytoestrogens4 contained in soy protein lead to both unwanted decreases in testosterone, and increases in the female sex hormone estrogen.

However, on the other side of the coin, many scientists believe soy to be relatively innocuous, and in fact beneficial for a whole range of physical ailments.

The results of this study show that soy protein is just as effective as whey protein in building lean muscle mass as part of a dedicated exercise and nutrition regimen, while contradicting the myth that soy protein may negatively impact testosterone levels in men.

-from Bodybuilding.com

7. fatcow

fatcow OT Supporter

is the only reason you're asking this because of the money? if you're only saving $2, I'd imagine whey tastes a ton better, but I've never tried soy powder.

8. Kooomar

Kooomar .

No, not at all, the 2 bucks is nothing really, just a benefit. It really is 100% curiosity. I've started an advanced SCUBA program, and the instructor is a huge advocate of soy protein, but I confronted him with only the knowledge that "I heard its bad for you." SO, I was wanting to find out what some of the bigger nutrition gurus thought of it.

9. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

not worth it as a male. considering the amount of protein supplements the average F&Ner ingests, i'll stick with whey thank you.

10. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo New Member

Soy + health food marketing = ftl

11. ChampionSpellor

ChampionSpellor New Member

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=17908338

12. crown royal

^^^^ Yeah but, but but, I'm broly and have so much, I would OBVIOUSLY grow bitch tits.

13. Kooomar

Kooomar .

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/soyvswhy.htm

Extremely interesting, though lengthy read. Again though, has conflicting information from other sites. Its starting to seem that soy has no estrogen effects (besides being slightly beneficial) and that soy protein (As long as its isolate, not concentrate) is better and cheaper than whey.

Again, if you have some USEFUL insight on the topic, please chip in your personal experiences. Any of your thoughts based on hearsay are just about as helpful as a random internet site.

14. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I've not seen any good information one way or another, however given all of our efforts are aimed a marginally increasing hormones that lead to increased muscle mass, even the chance that soy decreases testosterone is enough reason not to consume it. Eat 4-5 soy protein bars over two days and see if you notice a difference in libido. I do.

The last actual study I read also debunked a lot of the stories that soy reduces cancer and cholesterol or has any other benefits other than as a protein. They found that if you're eating soy your not eating sausage and baked beans so indirectly it reduces your intake of worse foods, which is where the initial positive results came from.

15. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

there are quite a few pro bb'ers who use soy now...

then again they use anti e's and everything else to so its hard to say. I used to think the estrogen was a factor but im on the fence now..soy is getting more popular

I wouldnt use it myself

16. crown royal

I've never been compelled to use soy supplements. I have little reason because I'm happy with ON. But I do eat a good amount of tempeh and tofu. Tempeh is fucking delicious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.