A&P What's the consensus on Sony DSLRs?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hootpie, Sep 10, 2008.

1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I get the feeling that this board is mostly Canon/Nikon seeing as how they've been in the game longer. However, having just learned that Sony makes the sensors for Nikon I'm wondering if the DSLR's they're putting out aren't that bad (aside from the quasi-proprietary lenses).

Thoughts?

2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I C U P Johnny Chimpo...I'm waiting on a solid reply from you :)

3. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Personal opinion: I can't stand them.

Don't get me wrong, having Sony playing in the industry is great for business, but every time I've picked up a Sony DSLR I've been sorely disappointed in the ergonomics, the camera design and build quality/feel, the features and more than anything else...the god awful viewfinder. The VF on their lower end cameras is almost as bad as the horrid VF's on a Four Thirds body. :ugh:

From a company/manufacturer point of view there is some good and some bad. Of course there's the the gear itself, it's all basically Minolta stuff, so there's a fair amount of accessories available for Sony. Then there's the fact that Sony has assloads of money and they tend not to abandon product segments easily or quickly (think Minidisk here). Sony also has huge manufacturing capabilities which will likely lead to a very rapid decline in CMOS sensor prices. This is something that Canon will have a hard time keeping up with. And Sony has partnered with Zeiss for their top end lenses, so there is some real quality glass available for Sony now.

However, Sony is also a company that has proved time after time after time that it's incapable of listening to customer needs or expectations (think music distribution, mp3, minidisk...again, etc) and many Sony consumer electronics leave a lot to be desired when it comes to the details (think Walkman music software, VAIO applications, etc.) also consider Sony's ham handed noise reduction on their cameras that wipes out details.

Bottom line: Sony cameras are still very very immature. I'd steer clear of them until their next real generation of bodies to see if they work out some of the rough edges or if they continue to act like Sony. (i.e. "This this the product we feel like making and we don't care if you like it. Please buy it or we'll suffocate the competition through marketing.")

But that's just me, and that personal preference thing I mentioned in the Canon vs. Nikon thread still enters into the equation. If you go to a camera store and decide you like a Sony body better than the competition, then cool. Buy it and enjoy it. :dunno:

4. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

I'm pretty surprised to see that they're using CF cards, instead of some crazy memory stick duo or whatever. :o

5. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

My dad has one...they're junk.

6. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

New one looks pretty bad ass :eek5:

7. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

just a gimmick to get you ready for the big boy Nikon. Thats all.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Sony makes DSLRs?

:mamoru:

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

it is not just mostly this board that is nikon/ canon. it is anyone who does not work for sony pretty much

10. djlogik

djlogik New Member

Flame suit is ready......I have an a700. had an a100 and a minolta 5D/7D. I really like their cameras and their lenses. I was pushed into Konica Minolta by their glass, the way the camera felt in my hand, and the ease of navigating their menu. I bought an a100 as a second body, then replaced that with the a700. I still find the a700 easier to use and the ergonomics better fit my hands than any nikon or canon that I have tried. I feel the old minolta lenses and the new zeiss lenses are top notch. Ya, a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for. Most of their lenses stand up to the quality of the L glass of canon, but I like the color the minolta produces better. Its all a matter of personal opinion and what you feel works better for you. Will i buy the a900, maybe after I see some real world examples and not pictures from a pre-production or jpgs. Until then I am content with my a700 and feel sony definitely is a major player in the dslr market. Yes Nikon and Canon have a larger footprint in the industry, but sony is slowly making progress. They are slowly evolving and think they are doing a deceny job after acquiring KM. I feel they are listening to its consumers about their cameras, and have made firmware updates to the a700 to improve on the things we didnt like (turn off NR in raws, better bracketing, etc). If I was a pro shooter, I would maybe go the canikon route only because of more accessories (better flashes, easier to setup stobes, pocket wizzards, etc)and the availability of their products in more camera stores. But again, to each their own.

11. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Thanks for the replies.

12. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

They use both

13. Bloke

Bloke Banned

i think i want the 50 f1.4

14. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

a good buddy of mine shoots Sony and he really likes it, and is looking to probably go to the new A900 in a few months. Zeiss is making plenty of glass for them, and the quality is outstanding.

the one major complaint he has about everything is that in typical Sony fashion so many things are proprietary and you can't just use random accessories, but have to purchase ones that are expensive because of the proprietary uses.

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Id stay away from them, they like putting very atractive features on shitty gear to lure customers. Example their new camera is sporting 25megapixels but already a few complaints on how slow it focuses have started. I don't know about you guys but real fast focusing is on the top of my lists of priorities in a DSLR.

Im more interested in the RED digital camera that they re rumoring

16. Bloke

Bloke Banned

the focus speed depends on how much light there is and the specific lens. if you are using mostly wide angles outdoors its near instant. if you are using say the 135f1.8 then it slows way down, especially inside. mostly becasue of the way the lens is designed.

17. Spurious

Spurious New Member

The camera decides when something is in focus, if they're using a censor that has too much output and the processor can't calculate fast enough, focus will become slow.

18. Bloke

Bloke Banned

yes but the way its designed its very lens specific. no problems for the usm lenses i believe.

19. mojito

mojito New Member

they make your sensors :mamoru:

20. Girth

21. mojito

mojito New Member

22. hootpie

hootpie New Member

That's the one thing I dislike about Sony the most. I am very surprised that their DSLR's are not strictly compatible with Sony memory cards.

23. Girth

or maybe they're providing Zeiss lenses for Nikon mount and not Canon in a partial return. :)

Or maybe they're just showcasing their product thats eventually going into the top of the line Nikon. Either way, there's bound to be some kind of a marketing strategy behind both companies and the quickness of the product releases. :dunno:

24. mojito

mojito New Member

:hsugh:

even their prosumer digicams have used both cf and ms/msduo for years

25. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

but the option to not use Sony's proprietary memory stick format is there. In the past, as has been mentioned, Sony tends to shove their proprietary formats down your throat until you like it.

I'm a big fan of Sony, but they tend to develop a lot of proprietary technology instead of using what's already available.