GUN Whats the cheapest I could get an AR-15 (parts or assembled) for?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sorny, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I want to go as cheap as possible because I just want to get this out of my system as cheaply as possible. If I fall in love with it I can build a fancy one later. I have done some searched and read for $550-600 I can assemble one but those posts were fairly old so I didn't know if thats still the case today.

2. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Well thanks for the tip. In that case I probably won't be doing an AR for a while then. Not putting $800-1000+ in one right now. I was hoping I could buy shit a little at a time for like $100-300 a pop.

3. You could still buy parts a little at a time and assemble it yourself, just buy quality stuff, not the cheapest stuff you can find. On the other hand, quality doesn't always mean absurd prices, you just have to know what to look for.

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You going to actually shoot it or buy one just to have? Ammo is ~$.40/round now.

If you build it yourself with used parts you bought off other people you could probably do it for ~$600, but that requires a lot of time watching for sale ads and forums.

You can probably buy a good new one for ~$900 now. Why not buy something decent? If it's not for you, you can always sell it later, they aren't going down in value anytime soon.

5. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I guess I need to research this at home a little more (gun stuff is blocked at work) but I always thought it was basically just buying the lower and then the upper and everything else was just optional add-on's like scope, etc.

6. As far as the lower goes, just buy whichever one you like the most (Essential Arms lowers are like $105 or $110) and then drop in a LPK. Pick the stock you want.

The upper is where you have to pay more attention. For general use you'll want a barrel with a chrome lined bore and chamber. Ideally you'll end up with a M16 carrier, or at least an AR15 carrier with a shrouded firing pin. Try and find a bolt that is pressure tested and magnetic particle inspected. Make sure that the gas key on the carrier is properly staked (or do it yourself if it's not.) The bolt/carrier assembly and a good barrel are the most important parts.

7. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You can split it up more then that.

Barrel, upper reciever, bolt carrier group, charging handle, sights, lower reciever, stock, receiver extension, handguards, pistol grip, lower parts kit (trigger, hammer, all that good stuff), etc...

8. Sorny

Sorny New Member

God, I forgot about ammo prices :ugh: I wanted to buy it to shoot. Not like I'd be going through 500 rounds a week but I would like to take it out once a month or so (prob much more at first) and shoot 200-300 rounds.

Wow, I hate to say it but I don't think its for me now. As much as I want one I would probably be better off just buying one prebuilt for $800-900. And that plus ammo is going to be $1000 easy... I have some extra cash but I'm also trying to be halfway responsible and pay bills off -- so until I do that I can't tell my wife I'm putting $1000 into another gun instead of paying off my Circuit City credit card.

I would say I hated to waste your guys time, but it really wasn't a waste of time; I did learn something.

9. Sorny

Sorny New Member

It would bug me not being able to shoot .223. Whats the cost of the gun if I have both barrels? Or is it too much of a hassle to swap?

10. You use the same barrel. The diameter of the bullet is the same (well, close enough.)

11. Sorny

Sorny New Member

So what is different besides the barrel with .22 vs .223?

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

the magazines and the bolt carrier group are all you swap out.

13. If you were doing an ONLY .22lr build you wouldn't use a gas tube, and you wouldn't buy a bolt and carrier assembly. Also, I don't think you need a buffer spring or buffer. The price of the .22 conversion kit would be easily offset by not having to buy the parts I mentioned.

14. Do you need a buffer and buffer spring?

15. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Whats the additional cost if I, say, bought a regular AR and wanted to do .22 afterwards?

16. Keesh

Keesh New Member

You use a .22 bolt, it replaces the original AR bolt carrier. It takes 5 seconds to swap. The .22 kits are about $150-$200. AR bolt carriers are $120-$200.

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

nope, that'll cut off ~$30 too

18. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Ah, thank you. That's what I was wondering. I figured the kits would be much more expensive.

I'm going to give it some thought but I'm afraid with prices like they are I will probably be waiting at least until summer.

19. It would just cost you the ~$200 for the .22 kit.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

no but he said he wanted to shoot 223 too so theres no point in not getting them and just doing a full ar build and getting a 22 conversion.

21. Sorny

Sorny New Member

I don't mind used but is it really saving THAT much? If I can buy new for $900 but used is $800 I would just buy new. But if its a larger gap I wouldn't mind used at all and have only had 1 new firearm out of the 7-8 I own.

22. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

for a decent AR you'll have to budget at least $1,000.

dont cheap out on parts or it won't be something you'll like to shoot.

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

~$500-600 for a good, quality complete upper (everything but rear sight)
    ~$50-$120 Rear sight (Magpul just put out some cheap ones)
    $120 stripped lower
    $60 lower parts kit
    $75 for a stock and receiver extension and buffer+spring

24. Keesh

Keesh New Member

For used, my buddy just built a complete upper for just over $400. Slightly used chrome barrel, new upper A1 and a new bolt carrier group.

25. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

Was thinking of getting an essential arms lower and a stag upper, ML2 if i remeber correctly, i think the total cost was ~750.

is there something.... important i need to know about building an AR? i'd join barfcom for an edu but i can actually stand this place so i figured i'd ask here.