GUN What's the [budget friendly] hotness in hard cases? + AR15 rail length pic request

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 3x, Jan 2, 2010.

1. 3x

3x New Member

Two things...one, what are some good cases out there that can house an AR15 w/ 16" barrel? I know Pelican makes good stuff, and ones with foam that you can tear out in pieces so it doesn't look messy by cutting it. Ideally I wouldn't like to spend over 150...200 at teh most. Case should also have room for at least two loose 30rd mags, two loose G19 mags, and the G19 itself.

Second, can anybody provide a picture of an 16" AR15 w/ 9" free float rail and a 10" free float rail? I'm probably going to pick up one of the MI rails soon. 9" will cover the low profile gas block completely, correct?

Oh yeah, I got my Primary Arms M3 Clone recently. Works pretty good- has a red tinge to the lens even while it's off but I can't complain for 85 shipped.

[​IMG]

Anybody have any idea how to attach the rubber piece that goes over the dials without stretching it out? And do I just cut off what's currently on there?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

3. JW2

JW2 New Member

Just stretch it over. It's not easy but it will go. Kinda hook it to the top of the dial "tab" and pull it down and across... It will stretch and you can smooth it over with your fingernail. You don't have to cut off the wires that are already there.

4. BLH

BLH Member

If you don't get pluck and pick foam, I would highly recommend using/making a hot wire setup to cut your foam, it is the cat's meow of cutting foam for cases. Pelican makes great cases, personally I prefer Storm ones because of the superior latches. Don't skimp on the case, yes they are expensive but they will last a lifetime and are an investment.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I run a SKB double rifle case. Enough room for my dual optic AR and open class Benelli. It's just padded with a extra piece of padding between the long guns. My stuff stays in place but I got it sandwiched together pretty good.

Has survived many a out of town match.

6. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

Got this ADG sports breakdown shotgun case at Gander Mountain for ~$50 IIRC

Fits a 16" AR w/ collapsible stock

[​IMG]

Or a 16" 10/22

[​IMG]

7. 3x

3x New Member

Thanks for all the input guys.

I'll have to look into Storm cases- Having good latches was something that I wanted in a case.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Pelican bought storm.

The pelican and SKB feel more rugged to me than the storm. I like the SKB because when you buy a rifle case it comes with $1500 insurance aganst damage to equipment stored inside. Great latches with TSA locks and the locks latches can be removed so you can swap out TSA locks and non TSA locks. Though they don't offer the non TSA locks anymore iirc.

When I travel to a big match I got alostt 10k in long guns in my SKB, I did my homework. The case is not inexpensive at around $200 on sale. if you got nice gear and you invest $$$ in attending a out of town match or class spend some money on making sure your gear gets there in one piece and the optics held their zero.

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Latches on the Pelican are just fine as well, dont let that deter you. I have traveled with long guns in a Pelican by air and I have used Pelican cases for years for tens and tens of thousands of dollars worth of camera gear. I'd have no issue using them and feeling safe.

Dont know enough about SKB to compare, go check them both out. My gear is insured regardless, so it doesnt matter what case its in and I'm positive I'd get faster and easier service from my insurance company than I probably would a case manufacturer that will be looking for any reason to deny the claim.

10. 3x

3x New Member

I'm comparing these two right now.

http://www.velocityshooter.com/product_info.php?cPath=83_89&products_id=197

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/48819-1.html

I'm liking the SKB case since it looks like I won't have to cut foam and I'll be able to fit a carbine and two extra magazines just fine.

I do like that the Pelican case is taller though and will probably hold more without being any longer. Another concern is that, since I am in CA and my AR has a BB, I won't be able to put my AR with a permanently attached magazine inside the SKB.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I dont think this is the cheapest place to buy, but for Pelican you get a ton of options in terms of foam and such. I didnt want to cut foam and wanted a case I could use for a variety of things at different times. So I ordered one from here with the egg crate type foam so I can put whatever I want in whenever I want and it all works just fine.

http://www.casesbypelican.com/app-1720.htm

And if you search that site, you can also get them in pre-cut foam configurations as well.

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

If you send a message to tony @ velocity, he can get anything pelican makes including different foam options.

13. 3x

3x New Member

I like the idea of the pick-and-pluck foam but I'm afraid it'll fall apart over time.

If I did go with Pelican (which at this point, I probably will) I'd get the foam as pictured on Velocity's website and have it cut. I found a place in Fremont that cuts foam- hopefully it won't be too expensive.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

If you do, tell him spanky sent you. It may not help but it won't hurt. ;)

15. 3x

3x New Member

Will do. Probably won't be ordering this weekend as I'm going to be ordering other parts, but next weekend after payday.

16. 3x

3x New Member

One word about Velocity Shooter: AMAZING

My thanks you to, Spanky, for referring me to such an awesome vendor. I had a problem during my checkout process so I e-mailed an inquiry- then I found out that the 1720 case is out of stock.

Just a couple of minutes later, Tony e-mails me back (from his phone!) explaining to me what is happening with my order, and even upgraded me to the 1750 for the same price! Absolutely astounding.

I understand why you refer these guys now, and will do the same everywhere I go or post.

Everybody in WMD should check these guys out- with other websites having lackluster service and taking weeks to process orders, Velocity Shooter really stands out.

http://www.velocityshooter.com

17. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I bought a Pelican 1520 from Amazon. Used it to transport my Kel-Tec Sub2000 with a couple of pistols and plenty of mags and ammo home for christmas and back. worked great and everything arrived just as it should have.

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Tony called me today about An order of
    mine and mentioned yours. Told ya he was gtg. ;)

19. 3x

3x New Member

Tony called me again today (but I was at work so I couldn't pick up, and I'd imagine it to be too late to give him a ring now) because he wanted to explain the error that had happened because he now has a more thorough understanding of it. Really a top notch guy and runs his business excellently.

20. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Something about authorize updating their API on the software.

21. Golfer

Golfer OT Supporter

Im with this guy. From what I remember I spent less than $50 making my hot wire foam cutting table and it was well worth the end result. I snapped some pics for you so you can get the idea with a 16"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

See, I like the egg crate foam as it makes the cases much more versatile. I know the cut looks cool, but for me, I dont have the cash for a $200 case for each rifle, with the egg crate, I can use it for the bolt gun, the ARs, the shotgun, etc, etc.

23. 3x

3x New Member

looks good Golfer. thanks for the pics :h5:

so the 1750 should be coming tomorrow. i'm probably going to take it to a place to have the foam cut.

any idea how much something like that would run?

i like the set up you have there, how you cut through the bottom piece also but not entirely, so the gun is still supported but you have room for extra stuff.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

there are two layers on the bottom.

25. Golfer

Golfer OT Supporter

cut the foam in half at different heights and glue it together.