whats the bottleneck on my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sushibug, Mar 23, 2006.

1. sushibug

sushibug :happysad:

athlon 64 3200
    1 gig ram pc3200
    geforce 6800gt
    80 gig WD ide

i figure its the ram or the vid card?

im playing ES oblivion and it looks like shit and runs like it too.

2. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

What settings are runninig it at? Might want to turn it down a bit.
    Tried the 84.25 Beta drivers yet? They are optimized for that game, so says nVidia

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

s754 or s939? the 754 platform is single channel, which is a bottleneck.

ide hard drive is a bottleneck

4. sushibug

its s754. i was too cheap to pay for 939. at the time of purchase i read around and found out that the s754 and s939 were no diff except that the s939 would be upgradable later on because it just came out. dont want to mess w/ my HD and i dont think my cpu is slow enough to upgrade... thought ram would help. i'll try the video drivers though.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

There are definite differences between s754 ans s939 platform, i dunno where you looked.

I'd also say the HDD, it's probably the ATA100 Caviar model if I had to guess. It's not like an upgrade to a SATA150 or better drive will instantly make the game run and look better, but it wouldn't help to upgrade for the absolute best game performance.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Getting an SATA hard drive (or SATA 2 if you can afford it) will help, and installing an extra GB of memory so you can shut off the swap file will help more. As for the video card, I don't know anything about nVidia, I've always bought ATI.

7. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

a 6800GT is a pretty good card, but i don't know the details of the game so that's not really valid. If you were running it maxxed out and it's a new game i could understand why it's choppy, otherwise i wouldn't blame the video card.

8. sushibug

well, when im playing i notice my HD light never goes crazy... so i figure its not the HD slowing me down. i think i'll upgrade to 2gigs and see if that helps any. i figure its more cost effective to do so then the other components. i also think the SATA on my mobo only runs in raid mode, and i dont want to buy two HDs if i understand RAID.

9. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

The hard drive isnt gonna make your game play smoother. Hard drive is only used for loading the game.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It doesn't matter if it only runs in raid mode, because technically speaking, one hard drive is the same as a one-disk raid-zero.

vtectyper is right though, if your hard drive isn't going nuts then your game isn't using enough memory to be overloading your computer, so a faster hard drive wouldn't make much difference.

There is always the "nuke it and start over" option.

11. sushibug

i try to reformat about every six months but i am about to order 2gigs of ram. one thing i didnt mention though was that my current setup was 2x256 and one 512 stick... so its not running in dual channel mode. im upgrading to 2x1GB and that should help a lot i figure. the more i kept looking up stuff at newegg, i kept wanting to buy more so i fished around benchmarks of CPUs. what im wondering is if its worth upgrading to an AMD X2 4400+ from my AMD s754 3200. i get bitten by the upgrade bug every 6 months.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

2gb of ram isn't going to help unless you need that much. To clarify, if you only "use" 800mb, then 2gb is not going to perform any faster than 1gb of system memory. You either use it, or it doesn't do anything for you. That is why upgrading memory has diminishing returns... 512MB is the minimum I suggest, and 1GB is a good amount for most people. Also note that most 2x512MB kits are faster (have better CAS latency) than a 2x1GB kit. Check that out, and try to get 2-2-2, or 2-3-3, at least. 3-3-3 is common in cheaper kits, and I'd rather have 1GB of 2-2-2 over 2GB of 3-3-3 for a normal system.

As for upgrading the CPU, it would definitely require new memory and a new motherboard... If you can afford the cash, sure it'll be faster. If you can afford a new CPU/Mobo/RAM, then you *should* get a SATA drive, as well. Of course, this combo may be cost-prohibitive, in which case I recommend just memory and a hard drive, along with a fresh Windows install.

Please note that you have a Socket 754 platform, and even with 2x1GB memory, you will *NOT* run dual channel. The 754 memory controller is not capable of running dual channel in any circumstance. You would need to move to the S939 platform to gain dual channel options.

13. sushibug

why the heck does my bios say dual channel when i put in matching ram sticks as opposed to if they are mismatched or not multiples of 2? that makes no sense.

14. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The truth is that S754 does NOT run dual channel.