What's the big 3 like for a top tier light heavy weight in the UFC?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by KIDRR, Apr 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

How much can these guys in the 205lb weight class lift, I know they do a ton of cardio and can't get too bulky. Do you think guys like Liddell, Ortiz, Griffin, ect.. crack 1000lbs for the big 3?

2. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

3. Mass

Mass Active Member

I remember seeing a video of him probably 4-5 years ago where he went to "turn his life around" and it showed him throwing away this huge ziplock baggy full of anabolics into this dumpster.

4. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

id bet money they can get 1000....

fucker aint even hittin parrallel on dem squats

5. SquirtRussel

SquirtRussel OT Supporter

i have ALWAYS wondered what serious fighters total, but i never seem to have found an answer.

6. SquirtRussel

but im sure they must total over 1000, i mean im a mma practitioner, nowhere remotely near the level of those guys of course, but i total like 950 right now

7. dengar

dengar seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir! OT Supporter

"Not everyone wants to be a 500 pound body builder"

:greddy::greddy:

8. Grouch

Grouch Guest

hell no.

9. Sammo

Sammo New Member

looks like that 42 year old man could do cardiovascular activity that would make your heart explode :mamoru:

10. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Bench press means fuck all in regard to success in the ring. Here's a post Martin Rooney made on the EFS Q&A

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

in the latest issue of grappling mag, franklin talks about his weight training & mentions that he benches somewhere in the high 300/low 400 area. But he also mentions that he's not concerned about benching 1-5reps, what he is after is endurance sets more like 135x50-100reps.

Although, im sure there are guys like hughes, sherk, james irvin, baroni, that are putting up mad weight.

12. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Look for "the snowman". He's huge. I bet he totals over 1000 easy.

13. SquirtRussel

very good post

14. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Thanks for the info. I see some of these guys on tv and they look so skinny, it doesn't look like they could do much damage. Then again, I once knew a guy who was like 6'3" 180lbs and he often beat up guys 220++

15. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

frank mir used to tell a story about how when he was a highschool football player. He was a big dude that was around 220-240, he started taking bjj & was getting choked out by 150lb'ers. :o

16. watagatapitusberry

watagatapitusberry OT Supporter

I'm pretty sure Hughes squats over 500. I know Rampage deadlifts a lot too, at least for an MMA guy

17. sex_xer

sex_xer fuck you 2by2!

i read this today about mma on t-nation
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1016556

Maximal Strength:

For those who are new to training for MMA, or for those with low levels of maximal strength, I'll first build up the three powerlifts. The most important powerlift for a MMA fighter is the deadlift. The first priority will be to develop a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift.

So, if you weigh 180 lbs, you'll need to achieve a 450 lbs raw deadlift (no belt, suit, or straps). Eventually, the ultimate goal will be a 3.0x bodyweight deadlift. But this is by no means written in stone. Depending on the lifter's height and skeletal structure, a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift might be sufficient.

The second priority is a 2.5x bodyweight squat. Again, this must be a raw effort. For taller trainees (over 6'), a 2.5x bodyweight squat is ideal. For shorter lifters, or for those who have the skeletal structure conducive to squatting big numbers, I might kick the number up to 3.0x bodyweight (but this is rare). Keep in mind, I'm referring to a powerlifting squat where you're only required to drop your femur just below parallel to the floor.

The third priority is a 2.0x bodyweight bench press. This is the least important of all the powerlifts, but a bigger bench can help your fighting efforts. Nevertheless, whatever you can bench press must be perfectly matched by a seated row (even though a seated row is not a powerlift). I only allow my clients to increase their bench press if their rowing strength matches their current pressing strength. And if their bench press increases 20 lbs, so does their rowing strength.

As counterintuitive as it might seem, my purpose in building up a novice's maximal strength is to help him get faster. Speed is most important in mixed martial arts. I don't care how strong you are, if your opponent can punch you quicker than you can punch him, he's going to beat you. And if you build up your maximal strength, you'll get faster, but this is only true for beginners.

Advanced trainees must do specific speed-strength training to get faster because rate of force development becomes a limiting factor. Furthermore, advanced trainees should spend the majority of their resistance training time performing single-limb exercises such as pistols, one-leg deadlifts, etc. that improves both range of motion and stability strength.

18. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

19. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I know improving overall strength increases explosive power, but wouldnt it make more sense, if you were training for explosive power, to do more specific 'power' training?

20. Vailripper

Vailripper Daywalkers have feelings too.

or just do actual MMA all day. It seems like to me a huge portion of that sport is technique, sure increasing overall strength will help somewhat but you're also giving up time to actually train to fight, which would be a much better use of time in my opinion. You see little guys taking out big fuckers all the time in the ring, it's because your overall strength doesn't matter nearly as much as your actual talent.

21. sex_xer

sex_xer fuck you 2by2!

:dunno: i dont do mma, i was only browsing around the site

22. SquirtRussel

23. wtf does chad waterbury know about MMA? :bowrofl:

24. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:rofl: at douchebags thinking Randy Couture is a pussy :rofl:

No seriously though... Unless you want to be picking people up and slamming them, you really don't need intense strength to perform well in fighting sports... muscular and cardiocascular endurance is extremely important...

for striking you will build up enough strength by spending a lot of time on the bag, and for the more intensive grappling you will build up sufficient strength by rolling.

Weights can add to your game but you'd better be smart about it and stretch enough to make sure you have full range of motion and make sure that, if it hurts your muscular endurance (I don't know that it does, I've heard speculation) you'd better train extra to fix it.

25. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

did you see the way he slammed Ricardo Arona in a match?

Picked him up like nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.