What's the best way to treat this possible strain?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by hootpie, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I hit my calves really hard on Saturday and not only is the muscle sore, but I'm pretty sure I strained the tendon that runs from the back of my knee down to my ankle a little bit (achilles?).

The muscle is sore, but that's not what is bothering me. I can't stand with my feet flat on the floor and my legs completely vertical (and I definitely can't stand with my heels on the floor and lean my shins forward to the point where my knees are over my toes). If I do or try, I get a lot of pain and discomfort just below the back of my knee and running down about halfway down my leg. If I sit for any extended period of time, it tightens up a lot and I can't walk without first trying to warm it up.

Should I attempt to stretch it out (stand on my toes and slowly lower my heels to the ground) or would that make it worse? I'm going to go take a hot shower (would icing it be better?) + 2 advil in a little bit to see if that will help.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  2. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Here's a picture showing where it hurts...the all of the muscles around it are sore (muscles are sore). The part I circled in black is where I'm feeling the tightness/pain and it feels nothing like muscle soreness.

[​IMG]

Edit: I'm obviously going to try to rest it as much as possible, but I need this to heal up quick so I can walk without a) having to warmup for ~15 minutes and b) looking like I don't know how to walk

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  3. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Alternate ice for 10 minutes and heat for 10 minutes. Do that 2-3 times and do it 2-3 times throughout the day. If it still hurts that bad after a couple of days then go see someone about it.

4. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I just did that for an hour...feels a little better, but still tight as fuck. I'll do it a couple more times today, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.