A&P whats the best way to transfer your digital photos to print?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by TheDilla, Apr 26, 2003.

1. TheDilla

TheDilla Guest

is it better to take it to kinkos or is there a good printer you can get laser,ink etc?

2. Dubtastic

Dubtastic { OG }

i had tried kinkos here but found that they were too stupid, rude, and expensive. i have some friends who have much better relationships with kinkos in their area but the one here is bad, even out of the way for me.

the best way to go is to find a relationship with a local printing service and get in good with them. that way you can easier proof your prints, etc.

if you want to go the online route, i am having better luck (after a rocky start) with http://www.daprints.com/ which requires a one time startup fee of $24.95. you could also use http://www.zazzle.com, http://www.snapfish.com, or http://www.ofoto.com which do not require setup fees that i know of.

lastly, i have heard great things about the canon s9000. i ordered some prints from http://www.epoxy5.com who used that printed to print his own work and they came out great. my next investment will most likely be a printer like that.

hope that helps out some.

3. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

acutally, if you have a Costco near you, they do AMAZING digital prints up to a very large size

my buddies have had hundreds of pics printed out there.

they are one of the cheaptest/quality places i've seen

4. Kent

Kent Guest

I sent mine off online to www.snapfish.com or www.clubphoto.com It's about $0.25 for a standard 4x6 print. A little more for 5x7. The ones I have gotten from them look great -- a lot better than prints from reasonably priced home photo printers, and the per picture price is still pretty good. (With expensive paper and ink and printer cost, the per print price on a good photo printer probably isn't that much better.)

I've never done it locally, but I hate to drive to Kinko's and such. With the online sites, you just upload your pics and they come in the mail in a few days.

5. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Try Wal-Mart

6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

depends, do you want it on photo paper or ink paper?

many minilabs now (usually claim to be less than 1 hour for photos '19 min' etc) have digital printers that work great... my studio has an afga that prints great photo quality prints.

you can always go the inkjet route and buy a printer and photo 'paper' check this month's issue of pop photo for an intresting comment on inket printers though...

if you have access, you can always transfer to film and then enlarge to your heart's content... you lose a bit of quality though. As an experiment last year, i shot a few images with a d100 and tried priting on a epson 9000 (i think that was the model #) at 24x30 and then used a polaroid film printer and printed the image to film, and then used a regular photo enlarger and printed at 24x30... the images both looked about the same, i still thought the color looked a little flat and muddy but that's the camera... quality wasn't that big of a diff.

7. jk

jk Guest

Wal mart, fast and easy. They have a machine there just for that.

8. Tenacious987

Tenacious987 Guest

Most Eckerd photo labs are now all digital. i used to be a photo manager there. if you get someone that knows what they are doing, and actually have an interest in photography, you're in luck at Eckerd.

9. Tommy

Tommy Long Member Standing

That www.clubphoto.com site now has DX4 sized paper so your digital shots won't be cropped when you get them developed.:cool: And on Saturday they had a one day sale for 40% off all prints so I sent my Italy trip pictures for $.15/print. :cool:

10. Mancini

Mancini Guest

Can anyone speculate if the price of digital prints will eventually match the cost of developing a roll of film with the same number of prints? I don't see why not.

11. Tommy

Tommy Long Member Standing

Um, at $.25/digital print, it's cheaper than getting a roll of 24 prints developed at a 1 hour place ($6.99 for film).

12. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

most kinkos and walgreens have a dye-sub printer you can use yourself.
    it's quick, but more costly than what these other people are posting. the machine is a kodak picture maker and the 8X10s are about 5 bones a piece. It lets you layout 3X5's, 4X6's, 5X7's, wallet size etc. The quality is really good too

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003