Whats the best way to learn PHP/MySQL

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by quzur, Jan 27, 2004.

1. quzur

quzur Active Member

books? whats a good book?

I dont have either PHP or Mysql installed on my system but I do believe thats its offered on my webhosting. Can I play around with it there? :confused:

2. samm

samm Next in Line

I've never read a PHP book, just read the documentation on their website http://www.php.net

It is not a difficult language to learn.

3. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

yes, you can use it on your server

google is your friend, everything you could ever want to know about either one, or both together will be there :)

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd: PHP.net is awesome.

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

php.net is an awesome reference resource. If you're into learning from a reference resource, then php.net is perfect. If you've never seen a programming language before, then I'm pretty sure php.net will not be for you unless you wish to look up specifics.

Hit up your local bookstore/library and check out the PHP shelf/shelves (its a pretty popular topic). Personally, I'd stay away from the Sam's Teach Yourself in X minutes (or whatever) series. I got burned by one of them and I know others who have as well (they tend to teach bad habits).

WROX is great (I'd highly recommend them), but I think they were bought out. O'Reilly's are always good, but I'm not sure how their beginner series works (they seem to have a lot of reference books which may not be what you want).

Pick a few up and look at the reading style they use. Can you live with it? Then take a look at the content they cover. Do any of the projects look interesting or something you might like to try or ever wondered how to do?

Then of course there's tutorials online. I'm personally not a tutorial fan when it comes to learning a new language. Too much material in too little. Sure, for specific things like how to build application X with PHP and MySQL will be valuable, but might not make sense if you don't have a good coding foundation or understanding of PHP.

So, just go out there and find what works for you and start coding... :)

6. stillspiraling

stillspiraling Would you like some making fuck, BERSERKER

hands on coding with the assistance of a good reference as listed on here I have found to be super helpful in the learning process. A good php/mysql beginner book I have is by a guy named Kevin Yank who works on WebMonkey. The book is entitled "Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL." Has a lot of helpful info in it and is really cheap on amazon or the like.