what's the best way for me to get my top gear.avi's to my 360?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Deepsix, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

I have a macbook with all my top gears on an external. I have my 360 hooked up to one tv with connect360 (this seems to only play wmvs). I also have an og xbox with XBMC that can play a top gear episode if i put it in my public folder.

Is there a way to get it to my 360 without reencoding them all to wmv? I saw that a PC app could do it on the fly
    Is there a way to give access to my regular xbox so it can see more than just my public folder?

2. snoozeallday

snoozeallday OT Supporter

My connect360 plays all kinds of video formats.

3. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

if I recall correctly, the 360 can play divx but not xvid encoded avis. Connect360 is a sharing solution but not a transcoder like TVersity, so you need to make sure your vids are in a 360-compatible format.

4. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

of course, if the episodes are already on an external, you could plug that into the 360 and find out really quickly if they're a 360-supported format.

5. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

mac formatted external :o

so there is a possibility the avi's good be divx formatted? i'll have to check it out

also, anyway to make my XBMC able to see more than just my public folder?

6. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I upgraded the HD on my Mac mini, and now using the old one as an external. Seems to work fine when I plug it in to my 360, plays movies no problem.

7. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Even though the 360 won't read NTFS externals, it works flawlessly with OSX HFS+ formatted drives. In fact a lot of windows users are using macdrive to format their external drives so they can fit >4gb HD videos on them. :mamoru:

8. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

if you enable SMB sharing from system prefs, you should be able to see any folders on your mac that are marked as "shared" but you need to setup XBMC with your login info. it's been awhile since I've messed with XBMC configs but there's somewhere you can feed it SMB share locations with the login info.

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

no shit!? wtf is up with that? :roflwtf:

10. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Internet experts say they gave it HFS+ compatibility so there are no hitches if people plug in a mac-formatted iPod.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

and they didn't give it NTFS compatibility? Who/Why still uses FAT16/32?

Not that I'm complaining. I didn't even think about the HFS format of my drive when I plugged it in until now that someone brought it up.

12. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

I did see some rumors that HFS externals formatted by Leopard don't work right, but apparently it's fine as long as you don't turn on case sensitivity or journaling or any other exotic options. If you have any trouble, it's definitely known that MacDrive7 can format externals that work on the 360.

I really need to do this, I've got macdrive on all my windows installs anyway, and for HD video it's a lot easier to just keep it on a drive rather than mess with streaming solutions. I just hate when I bring my external somewhere and it won't work on another computer. Maybe I'll put a small FAT partition on it and carry an installable copy of MacDrive along with me.

13. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

I have all my avis on an external hard drive hooked up to my router and I use Connect360 to stream them to my Xbox 360.

Every file I have works just fine.

14. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

My HD is formatted with Leopard, no problems here. Formula1 races in HD FTMFW! :bowdown: