MIL what's the best military job to take during that "few years off" after college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Commando Strambo, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Commando Strambo

Commando Strambo New Member

i've personally been thinking about infantry officer in the marines-- what would the time commitment be like for it?

looking for something that could give me some strong direction in life, build my leadership skills, and not be passed off as "grunt work". possibly going for MBA or JD or maybe doctorate in history (though i guess i wouldn't really need much work experience for the latter;)). while i don't really want a "grunt" job, i don't want some bullshit "in the rear with the gear" job, or even a deskjob. if i did, i wouldn't have a problem finding something like that with a civilian employer.

i guess it's not that much for school-- it's just getting some strong direction in life-- but not taking up the rest of my post-graduation 20s? any suggestions?

erm i guess i should give some quick background info on me: i'm a history major at USC, expecting to graduate with an honors track in history, magna cum laude (3.7 GPA here), $0 debt, i'm a re-founding father of a now-dry fraternity which was originally booted from campus for constant drug violations, a geometry/algebra2 tutor through a community service program at campus, and a part time in the schoolyear/full time in the summer software developer, was a boy scout from ages 10-17 (was never an eagle scout, something that i deeply regret not pursuing).

also i might add that i think i would be pretty good in dangerous situations (like maybe getting shot at, or seeing someone close to me be shot :noes:)-- i've never really felt sensitive or afraid of death or anything like that (i've always been able to recover quickly when people i knew died). maybe i'm just being a dumbfuck ignorant kid, but it's my 2 cents.

SO?!?!?

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

3 months of bleak hell, 4 years active duty, 2 years reserve. straight to iraq after your first 3 month stateside.

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Not that you would be "good" when you see your buddy get shot, it doesn't really matter how you are now, because the Marines will mentally have you in the exact state they want you in.

Forget being an officer if you don't want that much commitment.

I'm in the Marine Reserves (infantry), and I like it. Some people don't. Usually the guys who have been in for a while start to dislike it. I can tell you now, that after I get back from Iraq, I am going to hate it. But i'm still glad I did it.

4. Commando Strambo

Commando Strambo New Member

by "time commitment" i mean length of contract-- not how much effort i have to put in, but whether or not i'm gonna have to put in something like 6 years + 4 reserve.

5. shiba

shiba Active Member

officers do alot more than you think. Its hard work and you will be chew out all the time. Nothing you do in the military save the medical corp or JAG, will help you in the civilian world.

6. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

7. Socrates

Socrates New Member

A lot of talking, not a lot of doing.

8. burton564

burton564 New Member

I know nothing about marine officers so i won't even go there, but this whole dangerous situation thing. I wanted to go to war, i thought it would be cool, but the first time i heard a bullet fly by head, was the last time i ever wanted to hear that sound again.

9. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I think you're in for a shock

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

were you born retarded, or do you just try real hard?

11. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

:rofl:

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

ok wise guy, since you know so much, please let me know what job in the military can help you in the civilian world.

13. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

before you do it... i'm in the army... signal corps (basically communications) and my platoon leader was talking to me about his job on friday... basically he comes in at about 0500 or 0530 and gets home around 1930 ON A GOOD DAY. so you need to really think hard about it before you do. Plus he does a LOT of paperwork (EG: desk job). I'm not telling you to not do it (hey... i don't know a thing about the USMC's officers) but being in any part of the military takes some thought and a shitload of commitment. Good luck on your decision. Now time to go to bed so I can wake up in 6 hours and work 14 hours on a sunday!

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

15 years :o

15. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

16. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

I get tired of the whole NCO mentality that they work for a living and officers dont. Some fucktard E6 challenged me with that shit the other day, so I took him up on it. I made him stay up all night with me going to meetings at the CP, staying up on leaders watch, receiving and delivering OPORDS to the various squads doing training missions, ensuring priorities of work were being executed properly in the patrol base, etc, etc, etc.
    In the field, I probably get on average of 3 hours less of sleep than the squad leaders do. In garrison, your usually the first in and the last out. And im just a fucking cadet. I cant imagine being a PL in an active duty unit. Im sure there are shitbag officers out there that do no work, but theres alot more shitbag enlisted that get by not doing shit.

17. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You are prior enlisted right?

18. MumblingJoe169

yup

19. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

So true......

20. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I was a Sensor Systems tech when I was in the Air Force. After I got out of the Air Force, I was hired by AT&T as a Communications Technician. That lead to a 15 year career that progressed from the Comm Tech job on to several management jobs. When I left AT&T in 1999, I was an Information Applications Manager. I handled the data and computing needs of all AT&T offices in North and South Carolina.

AT&T hired me because of the training and experience I received in the Air Force. They kept me because I worked hard and was an asset to the company. Why the fuck would you join the military in the first place if you didn't think it would prepare you for anything after you discharge? :ugh2:

21. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

come to Iraq/Kuwait as a contractor ...you'll be fucking rich in a few years

22. MumblingJoe169

or hanging from a bridge

23. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

:rofl: ... the media loves to paint the awful picture ... :rofl:

24. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

it sells