MIL What's so great about being a Marine?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brackac, Mar 13, 2006.

1. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Other than the "pride" and pretty uniforms? I know what is not so great about being a Marine. Someone educate me here.

1. Enlistment contracts (not 100% guaranteed?)
    2. Quality of life
    3. Slowest promotion rate of the services
    4. Outdated equipment
    5. Highest deployment rate
    6. Limited opportunites to pursue civilian education (you have to retire some day)
    7. Limited MOS that transfer to civilian job market (refer to #7)
    8. Main purpose is to be a bullet catcher for the Army
    9. Limited "kickass" special duties or "elite" jobs
    10. High turnover rate

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  2. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

you can be fatter when you go in than any other branch, and marine boot camp is very hard to fail out of (only the air force fails fewer recruits)

3. brackac

Link to stats?

4. smokie700

smokie700 right near da beach, Boiiiii

I like #7, reminds me of the blonde joke where you are stuck in a loop, hehe

5. brackac

You like that? :bigok:

6. gtcrispy

gtcrispy New Member

No. They just don't know how to. Avoiding the subject :)

7. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I got stuck here...

8. Accord

Accord New Member

1. Enlistment contracts are 100% guaranteed. If you go Active Duty, then you can get a 100% guaranteed field such as infantry, artillery, armor, admin, logistics, comm, etc. and then a combination of the needs of the Corps, your ASVAB scores, and your preferences on a wish list will determine your specific MOS within that occupational field. In the reserves you can get a guaranteed specific MOS depending on your local reserve unit.

2. Who the hell needs plasma TV's?

3. This is irrelevant, while promotions are far slower than any of the other branches, you are given far more responsibility at a much earlier time than in any of the other branches.

4. Marines have always prided themselves on doing more with less.

5. Marines may be deployed more often than the army, however their deployments are a lot shorter so it all evens out.

6. The Marine Corps particiates in the SOC program just like every other branch, the opportunity to earn a college education is no different than any of the other branches except you'll probably have less time. If you have a 9-5 type desk job at Pendleton or something and you're not deployed, then there's no reason why you shouldn't have a bachelors degree after your first 4 years.

7. Why do you say this? The Marine Corps probably has the widest variety of MOS' vailable considering the MAGTF because the Marine Corps is essentially their own self contained "mini military" so to speak with their own air force among other things, so the need for all those same high tech Air Force jobs and jobs from other branches which trasnslate well to the civilian world are most definitely there.

8. You're a fucking idiot.

9. The Marine Corps has so many "kickass" special duties and "elite" jobs I don't even know where to begin. Embassy duty where you'll find yourself responsible for the security of US embassy's all around the world, President Security you provide secondary security behind the Secret Service among other things or you could find yourself at the White House or Camp David. The list goes on. Then of course there is Recon in which any male Marine regardless of MOS is allowed to take the indoc for. The list goes on.

10. If being a Marine was easy, then it wouldn't be the Marines.

You knew it was only a matter of time before I saw this thread :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

9. brackac

I was asking Marines. With that said the majority of your answers are wrong or bullshit.

10. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

ROFLMFAO at Accord's response

11. brackac

1. You have no clue how varied a career field can be. Telling me I am guaranteed a spot in the infantry or comm is not a guaranteed contract. Other services will guarantee your specific job, additional training, and first duty assignment in some cases.

2. If you think I was speaking of plasma tv's when I meant quality of life then you have no idea what it means to be in the military. Oh wait.

3. Please explain the vast difference in responsibility level between the services by pay grade. Don't forget to include scope and span.

4. Once again I said I didn't give a shit about pride. Pride is overrated. Terrorist have pride.

5. A 1 year deployment in the corp is the same as a 1 year deployment in the army. Or if you want 7 months every 12 months in the Corps is worse than 12 months every 24 months in the Army.

6. Please tell me how much time you are afforded in the Marine Corps to take civilian class. Oh wait.

7. The Marine Corps is known for outdated and second hand equipment. You would know this but.

8. Truth hurts.

9. Guarding an embassy or the president is not kickass in my opinion, and weren't you just bitching about the lack of response by the jarheads at a embassy?

10. It is easy to be a Marine. Anyone that thinks it's hard to pass Marine bootcamp is an idiot.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  12. brackac

Do you keep forgetting that you are not a Marine? I am more of a Marine that you are. I have actually worked with and along side Marines. I was also asking for true Marines responses not something you heard from your recruiter or googled Accord.

13. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

1. not having to worry whether or not if the guy next to you is going to pull the trigger.

14. brackac

I don't buy that. There are pussies and killers in every service. There is a cook in the Coast Guard that can get the job done in combat.

15. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

:rofl:

From a REAL marine: All of the shit in your list is 100% true. The Marine Corps is 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag.

- LCpl Dodson
    EAS- 070817 (thank fucking god)

16. thesuperlurker

thesuperlurker yes i know i have few posts... you arent the first

I chose the Marines because it was the only service that wasn't going to give me a free ride right into JAG land. I went to the same OCS and go to TBS just like every other Marine officer. In the other branches, lawyers, doctors, and dentists get very brief "training", completely different from the other OCS. I like the idea that I'll have gone through the same basic training as my colleagues. I like the idea that I'll be qualified as a basic rifle platoon commander. Will I have the skills that those that go on to IOC have? Not even close. But I'll have a basic understanding that will let me communicate with them and not feel like an outsider.

A lot of the stuff on your list is most likely true. But for me, this one thing outweighs it all.

17. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

very good reason

not everyone is going JAG though...

18. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

for being fatty? or for the attrition rates? Its always been known that its hard to fail out of marine bootcamp since they'll take and pass just about anyone but here is a link to the stats http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/l/blbasicattrit.htm

new attrition ratings should come out next year and expect the marines and army to take another dip. Its just becoming easier and easier to become a marine/soldier every year.

19. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

:rofl: the Marine Corps would best utilize Accords services by sending him straight from boot to a recruiting office.
    This kid is gonna get a kick in the chest when he is active duty :eek4:
    i liken it to finding out your first love was really a giant whore all along :rofl: its gonna be beautiful to watch

20. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

But the spartans had gay sex with each other...

21. brackac

Holy shit. :rofl:

22. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

I guess you could use that whole being shitted on and having the worst of everything to our advantage. We're so used to it that when it comes down to it, we're able to perform and it's normal for us to be in shitty conditions :dunno: .

23. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Everything.

It takes one to understand.

It's like a brotherhood.

24. RoblesGT

RoblesGT [Track Days: 19 ][Crashes: 1] [SuMo Days: 1 ][Cras OT Supporter

1. They guarantee you will be in the military ... what else do you need??
    2. Yes it sucks, some people have it worse.
    3. I dont see why this matters ...
    4. McGyver is our personal hero.
    5. This is actually a good thing.
    6. I've been able to complete several college classes already ... i think it amounts to an Associate ... or very close .. only been in 2 yrs and deployed twice
    7. I dont know about this one, I'm still in. My brother got out as I was coming in and he got some sort of Head Manager job at UPS ... :dunno:
    8. They die more so I'm gonna go ahead and say that this one is bullshit.
    9. MSG is fucking kickass ... most south asia deployments are kick ass ... MEU is kickass ... :dunno:
    10. Ok.

Oh and even after everything you said. I dont regret it at all. From the people I've dealt with in other branches ... the majority of them would rather deal with us Marines than with their own people. We're just a better breed of military folk when it comes to gettin shit done. Everything else is just extra credit or icing on the cupcake.

25. Socrates

Socrates New Member

Yeah there are killers and pussies in every branch, but the odds of having a pussy on your side in Iraq is about 500x greater in the Army than in the Marines. That isn't an opinion, it's just a fact. Our training focuses more on brainwashing you into the killer mindset, whereas the Army focuses on, well, I don't know what the hell you guys focus on, because i'm not in the Army.

Plus we're just motherfuckin sexy. The average goal of men in America is to make money and have sex. We don't care about the money and the sex is great.

It's not even about pride, it's just about the respect. We're the most respected branch in the world, and the people let us know.