What's pagefile.sys for?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 95vr4, Jan 14, 2008.

1. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

Trying to clean up some disk space on our webserver (Windows Server 2003), there's a system file called pagefile.sys that's almost a gig. Have the same file on my local machine's that's even bigger, not really concerned about disk space on those though. Wtf is it for and why's it so big?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

"our" webserver?

this is windows' swap file/virtual memory file.

did you try to perform a search on this filename to see what results come back with?

3. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Virtual memory...

If it's a partition sizing issue you might want to move the pagefile to a different partition. You can do this by right click my computer > properties > advanced > perforamnce settings > page file settings > move page file to the appropriate drive

4. MrBrotato

MrBrotato New Member

Just to expand on what is already stated... Your computer stores information in pagefile.sys just like it stores information in your RAM. If you run out of RAM or info isn't needed very often it will be put into pagefile.sys. You can disable this or regulate how much space it can take up.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

kind of scares me that you've never heard of pagefile.sys, but you are in charge of cleaning up a server...

6. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:roflw:

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:roflw:

8. 95vr4

95vr4 OT Supporter

oh yea, I remember having to do that back when disk space was more $$, nowadays I could care less about a gig or 2 :mamoru:

I guess I need to research what the optimum size would be for a web server. It's a vps w/ 1gb ram, 30gb disk space and equal cpu, only running one high traffic site and mysql database.

Don't be scared :noes:
    It's a managed vps. They help me out a lot too, longest they've ever taken to respond to a support issue is 15 min. Pretty much only thing I'm 100% responsible for is securing my code and databases. We've been running on it for 2.5 years with zero issues, whereas the two shared hosts we had there were issues about every week for 3 years. :o

9. ez4me2c3d

ez4me2c3d Cold Member