SRS Whats my diagnosis?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CaliforniaPlaya, May 8, 2006.

1. CaliforniaPlaya

CaliforniaPlaya New Member

I've noticed this for a while, but I am starting to see it more, or maybe I just pay attention to it more. Anyway, I have trouble completing some tasks without either getting bored and starting something else or just get a dying urge to complete it and hurrry up and half ass it to just get over with it.

Today was a good example. I started to empty out the dishwasher and make something for lunch at the same time. Well, lunch was done before the dishwasher was empty (just microwaved something), so I left the dishwasher and had lunch. But then I wanted to clean up the garage before it got too late. So, I started cleaning up the garage. Then, I wanted to wash the car before it got dark. After the car was washed, I wanted to go to the store before the close. By the time I got back from the store, I was too tired to finish cleaning up the garage or empty out the dishwasher.

So, I got the dishwasher half emptied, the garage about a third of the way cleaned up the car washed and went to the stores I had to go to.

I tend to do this fairly often and I know this is a lame example, but its the most recent. I can't think of any others right now.

This post isn't particularly about today, but just in general. I don't know if this is about poor planning, lack of concern, lack of time, ADD or something else.

Now, I do work a lot, average 11 hour days and 6 days a week, sometimes 75 hours or more in 7 days. Partially by choice to make some extra $$$ to pay for things I want, like furniture, since I recently purchased my first home and thats where most of the money goes. I also work hard and most of my week consists of working and sleeping (yes I know thats sad and there is A LOT more to life than work). But its only for a little while until I get sitated in my new home. I am fortunate to have a job with decent pay that allows me to work a good amount of overtime to be able to afford a home in California and a few other toys. This doesn't leave a whole lot of time to get other things done during the week.

I've always been like this, but I guess I notice it more now that I don't have as much time to myself. It seems to happen more in my personal life that at work, but I know I do it at work also. Any oppinions?

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Gah, post got erased. In short, it seems most likely you have a combination of a overpacked schedule and time management skills that can't keep up. Sounds like you are simply too busy.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

you are bipolar

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Persistance is the key to succes.

I had to make a promise with myself that i MUST finish that what i start. I had to learn persevereance.

Basically persistance is nothing more then doing the same thing every day until its done, that way you build up more of that same thing you are doing, until it finishes completion.

5. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

get organized. i've been using a little pocket planner type notebook and i jot down things i need to get done today and my god, i'm finally free of stress because it helps me take care of things quickly and in an orderly fashion....plus it gives me a sense of control in my life.

6. asugrl

asugrl New Member

yeah, I'd say make a checklist of everything that you need to get done. Don't plan too much stuff on one day. I know how you feel, sorta. I recently went from working 20 hours a week, in the winter when I had no school, to starting school again in january with 2 new jobs, working 50 hours a week. On my days off (which I had like 3 of them in 3 months), or days where I didn't work til night, I had soo much stuff I wanted to do, yet I also wanted to relax. The day wasn't long enough. It sucks but like you said, it is temporary, so at least you can look forward to the time when you will have more days off. That should take some pressure off, cuz it sucks not having time for yourself.