SRS what's it like to be sober?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by astar, Jan 18, 2008.

1. astar

astar New Member

I'm on my 4th day sober from oxy,s and roxys. I've taken the roxys on and off for about 2 years. recently got oxys and took those for about a week and a half.
    i've been having the shits the last 2 days and my moods are terrible. it's been terrible trying to get any sleep and i've been depressed as hell. just about an hour ago i started crying out of nowhere. i never cry. and I don't even know what i'm sad about. i have a great fiance who i live with who is supporting me through this and we just got a puppy last week.
    anyways, i'm thinking about being sober and i'm thinking "it couldn't hurt if i gave this til the first of the month and then got a couple roxys then stop for a while again." but i don't know if this is true or not.
    anyways, enough rambling. what I'm really thinking about is..what's it like being sober? I can't even imagine being happy and outgoing without these pills. but i see other people being happy, so I guess it has to be possible. and I think I used to be happy before I started these pills. (and obviously on them).
    I wonder how long it will take for me to be happy again, if even possible.

sorry about the stupid post. i feel like an idiot rambling on. but I had to get some stuff off my chest.

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

not a stupid post at all my friend, we all came to NA and AA because we had nowhere else to go. If we had the answers at the time, we could have just stopped!

sounds like withdrawals are starting to kick in. given the nature of the drugs you took, they will probably get worse before they get better. I say this from experience.

you will probably need help, in the form of therapy or 12 step, or better yet, both. this is going to be much harder than you think.

what's it like being sober? well, when i was using, my life got even more worse than i though possible. Since i have been clean, my life has gotten better than i had ever imagined. I say this with no hokeyness or attitude, it is the truth for me.

3. astar

astar New Member

thanks for the response/understanding.

the thing that gets me...is when I was taking the pills, my life wasn't bad. I still paid my bills, took care of all responsibilities, and was a nice guy. now that I quit is when it seems like things are starting to fall apart. but I guess this will pass and I'll start feeling better. hopefully soon!!
    from past experiences with this, I think I should start feeling better within the next few days.

4. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Not a stupid post at all. I felt the same way when I was coming into recovery but thankfully, I've found a life that was well beyond my wildest dreams.

5. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

welcome to the baffling world of addiction, amigo

6. okietiger

okietiger New Member

Alcohol was my drug of choice. When I realized that my life was out of control I took measures to get it back, I went to AA, found a sponsor and am slowly getting my life back. When I was still drinking I felt I couldnt go a day without drinking. Now that I am sober I cannot imagine a day without sobriety. I love being sober. Life is much better and I am much happier.

7. f-g

f-g OT Supporter

I really, really need to do this.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

So do it. Afterall, if you don't take any action, nothing will change.

There are plenty of AA meetings throughout the USA. Look in the phone book under Alcoholics Anonymous and you can call and find out where a meeting is that's close to you. Don't worry, there aren't any AA Police that will come and get you simply for calling that number.

We have a saying, "If you want to continue drinking, that's your business. If you want to stop, that's our business." There are people that can help you but you need to let them know you want help.

Good luck and God Bless.

9. GooeyGus

GooeyGus I has Laz0rz.

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. I quit a 1000mg (IV) a day habit of oxycodone cold turkey.

Feeling good sober IS POSSIBLE BUT IT WILL TAKE TIME. It took you 4 years to get yourself into this, you cant expect an easy out. What I can tell you (which you will already know if you're still clean, so this is kinda for reference of other users) is that after a week or so, you will physically feel much better. Your emotions will still be all over the place (extreme depression one minute, extreme euphoria the next) for another few weeks or so. But as i'm sure you've hear before, getting through the withdrawals is the easy part.
    As you can see, your brain is already trying to trick you into using again (just one time as soon as i get 30 days clean :nono:). These super intense cravings and mind-tricks will last a while, but do become very manageable with a 12-step program such as NA.

Hope I helped, are you still hanging in there?

10. wallsocket

wallsocket New Member

Good luck, I hope you can do it. It feels like crap but it's got to be better than the alternative.

11. chucklenut

chucklenut New Member

Just ask yourself if you'd rather shit your pants and feel terrible only for 2 weeks, then be sober and fine forever after, or shit your pants and feel terrible until you slowly die.

Choose which one you want, then do something about it. Don't let your mind trick you. Don't listen to those personal demons that helped you begin your addiction, and adhere to the personal angels who show you the way out.