SRS What's it like to be sober all the time?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Leon_Phelps, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Leon_Phelps

Leon_Phelps Guest

This forum is going to have trouble getting moving because these are personal issues that most people won't want to share, but I'm glad you're trying it.

As I finish off my third beer of the evening...

Anyway, I need to quit drinking, and I'm sure I have a drinking problem, but I'm not ready to address it. I just can't imagine having the resolve to sit down and say "never" to booze. I know that an addict can't do something half way. Still, how can anybody, alcoholic or not, really commit to a lifetime of sobriety?

:)

2. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

It's rather nice in my opinion... but just because I'm sober doesn't mean I have an easy time staying that way...

You just have to hit a point in your life where you realize that its just not worth it to keep throwing things away like you have been. Eventually everyone gets to that point and either do it in moderation and fail, or get clean and stay clean and live to stay clean as best they can.

If you or someone else feels its a problem, then its something I guess you could look into... for some its a split second decision and either they're able to stick with it, or they're not. But you have to really to it for yourself when you feel its the right time.

The motto "One is too many and a thousand is never enough" is something I stick to, because I know its true, if I were to pick up again and start using, I lose anything I've worked for the last two years and I'm not getting a second chance because I will not be able to give myself a second chance... this is it, if I fuck it up, its over :hs:

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

We have a saying: Enjoy, but drink with measure.

If you just stick to that and make a beer a occasion instead of an addiction, you will benefit from the fact that you don't have to give up your beer, but just have to question yourself, is it a occasion,festival,party that comes along which gives you reason to take it, if not leave it.

4. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

I think this is good advice for non-addicts.

I think its horrible advice for addicts.

5. Demon Of Dreams

Demon Of Dreams Feed me with lies and hate, and from that, I will

if you're looking to limit yourself, thats perfectly fine...

however...
    if you're trying to get sober? way wrong answer.
    if you're already sober? way wrong answer.

thats the last thing you would ever want to tell someone who is either a: in recovery, b: looking for recovery, or c: trying to understand what said recovery is about.

We also have a saying:
    One is too many and a thousand is never enough

Sure, you may ask about those who only drink socially, I mean, whats a drink among friends, right?... well, to me thats still an addiction, because you're requiring a drink when you're around these people and it is natural to always want to drink around them. this doesn't even begin to delve into the entire pressure from others thing.

6. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:wavey:

7. Toda Party

Toda Party .....

Agreed.

8. anomaly

anomaly If you weren't around for the original HA.net spli

I have never said never, from day 1, to over 19 months. Using is ALWAYS an option. I got to the point in my life where I realized all of my problems were because of alcohol and drugs, and it wasn't giving me the solution anymore.

9. Darketernal

My advice works, and im sticking with it. If you don't agree you might want to try what my dad did with his heavy sigaret addiction(2,5 packages a day of heavy shag). He said: this is the last one. And he never smoked again. And it's over 3 years now, and im enjoying every day of it in a clean enviroment.

After you take that decision, you stay away as much as possible from your addiction, you dump everything of it in the trashcan. Just all in 1 throw, where you say to here and not further. Because only you can make an end to it, if you are a strong spirit you could consider this method.

10. bread

bread OT Supporter

I did this with a problem I was having. And to this date its been over 3 years since I touched the stuff. I don't have a desire to do it anymore, and I wonder why in the past I even wanted to. :)

11. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

addiction is a disease of the mind, not a developed incidence where you can set it aside.

12. Darketernal

Well if my dad and bread could do it ....

Just to say that since there is no cure, i see very few alternatives. the 'quit in once ' methode is one that can work. Anyway i want to congratulate bread still for her overcoming that awfull addiction three years ago, that's really a acomplishment you can be proud of, and that others may be able to learn off. For those with weaker spiritis, i hope you will keep on fighting , and not to be let down by a setback. I don't know how many times my father fell back into using sigarettes, but he eventually did rid of them, and i hope you can too.

13. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

weaker spirits?
    whatever.

14. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

being sober isnt half bad. you find things like meditation to reach the states you used to enjoy except now YOU are in control. its very liberating.

15. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I've been on Antabuse for a week. If I drink a single beer, I will become violently ill and vomit and the room will spin.

Whats it like? Well, I've been down this path before... so I'll tell you my experience.

First of all, my mind is still clearing. When you drink as much as I was, pretty much every day... your memory, emotions, and thought processes become impaired. I was much dumber than usual, with much less sense of myself than usual, my memory was going to shit, and I wasn't having thoughts that were... that I recognized as intelligent. And it was all because I was saturated with the booze. Got some problems? Saturate them in ethanol for a few months, and they will become much, much worse. I feel like my IQ has doubled in the last week. And its still getting better. It feels great.

But at first, its god damned boring. You have so much TIME to fill. You can sleep alot, or you can get ACTIVE. You find that all those things you wanted to do, but "never had the time" for... are totally doable. So, the thing is... to find the sober you through activities. Otherwise its not sustainable.

When you drink heavily... even if its just binge drinking 1-2 times a week... you really have no idea how much TIME it takes to:

1) Get drunk
    2) Recover from getting drunk
    3) Try to remember/deal with the shit you did while you were drunk
    4) Plan to get drunk with friends
    5) Think about alcohol
    6) Go about your daily activities with an alcohol impaired brain

Being sober is great... but it also sucks. Its hard, for a while.

For me, above all, the thing that has kept me sober longest... is the iron. The gym. You can get real fucking high off resistance training, and running. You'd be surprised just how HIGH you can feel ALL THE TIME when you treat your body well, and get it into the shape it is designed to be in.

If you want to quit drinking, and you think now is the time... I suggest that you go to your doctor and consider the Antabuse route. Once you take the little pill... you can't drink for 10-12 days, or you will get real sick. Your body no longer processes alcohol. So you get the sides of a SERIOUS amount of booze from just one drink. This provides an insurance policy against a relapse. Cause you have to PLAN it 12 days ahead.

For me, I would resolve to quit... then I'd get REAL THIRSTY, just drop by my local for one quick one... 6 hours later I'm out $150 and I'm sick at work the next day. SHIT. Now with the Antabuse, I don't have to worry about momentary weakness. As long as I'm strong at some point during the day, when I pop the pill... I am provided with strength for the next 12 days.

I think its the bomb. I will admit that I carried the bottle of Antabuse with me for 2 months before I took one ;) Thats how addicted I had become. But I took it... and I can't see myself being so self destructive that I will plan to go back to destroying my life 12 days in advance. I might skip a day, if I were in a black mood or something... But somewhere in that 12 days, I would get some sense in me, and I will take the pill.

Check out Antabuse.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2004
  16. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

For me every day sobriety is what my life is, because I chose it to be. I'm 17 and a half and have been drunk only about 3 times, all but one times was with family, and I wasn't belligerently drunk, just a bit more than buzzed. I can't ever see my self drinking everyday, depending on drinking, and being addicted to it. My father drinks every day, I'd say he is an alcoholic, not a hardcore one, though one none-the-less. And I think it definitely affects him. I see the way he acts and it makes me definitely not want to be that way.

Also like someone else said, the best thing to do is go to the gym. I know a lot of people that drink because they get stressed out, and they think drinking will make the pain go away. When ever I get stressed I head off to my gym and work out. Or I do stuff around the house, pushups, sits up, anything that comes to mind.

The best thing I can give to anyone who isn’t sober daily, or isn’t sober ever is do you really enjoy being like that? Sure it may be fun for a little while, but how fun is it waking up in places you don’t recognize, or how fun is it spending the night throwing up? How fun is it having to go to the hospital to have your stomach pumped because you drank too much?

To those of you trying to become sober: good luck.