GUN What's in your Bug out bag?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Jun 15, 2008.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I'm strongly considering putting together a few. I'm thinking one for each vehicle and a bigger one for the hacienda.

Necessities that I can think of:
    Magazines
    Flashlight & Spare batteries
    Knife
    Prepaid phone (?)
    First Aid Kit
    Food of some sort?
    spare clothing (or at least a change of underwear :noes:)

So, what's in your bag?

Thinking about picking up a couple of these for the vehicles:
    http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=453

any suggestions on larger bags to stay at home?

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Mil-surp stores generally have medium to large backpacks if you need something bigger than a man purse thing (what are those things really called?).

For food, get stuff like jerky. Energy bars with chocolate will probably last a while...but they also might melt.

The one in my car has a pair of boots, and a change of clothes, plus a sweatshirt, jacket and rain gear. Snow boots go in when it gets colder here. Pack according to your weather. I guess mine really isn't a BOB, more of a short term comfort bag :rofl: I've been stuck in snow, wearing flipflops and man was that bag was nice to have with wool socks, snow boots, and a jacket inside when my friend and I had to push my car out of the snow bank.

3. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

What is this "snow" that you speak of? :o

4. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I've got some food (a couple days' worth, roughly),some water bottles (maybe 3/4 gallon), some extra socks, spare undershirt, long-sleeve shirt, hooded sweatshirt, wool blanket (old mil-surp), compact fleece blanket, small first-aid kit (I need to improve it), can opener, spoon, some Propel "fitness water" powder to add to a water bottle if I need/want to,
    boonie hat, matches, SparkLite (sp?) firestarter kit....

And a couple dozen rounds for whatever firearm I'll have closest to hand for the trip.
    So either a bandoleer of .30-06 if my M1 will be closer, or a couple mags for my 1911. Maybe a couple extra mags or another bando if I feel masochistic, or it's an area where hunting for more food is a possibility

Mostly this is a car bag, though, for me. Especially when traveling between the Sierra Nevadas (hence the 2 blankets and extra layers, plus firestarter) and the Valley. Or across the Valley and Grapevine to the Los Angeles area.

I forgot, I always have my CRKT folding knife in my pocket, plus a medium Swiss Army knife and a small one.
    Sometimes I'll put a folding entrenching tool in there too--M43

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Presently in my work-in-progress bug out bag...
    • food for ~3 days (spam and vienna sausage - both are calorie dense but regrettably a tad salty)
    • water (6x500mL) + water purification tablets (need to get some polar pure for the long term)
    • heavy-duty emergency blanket
    • 4x light sticks
    • LED flashlight + batteries
    • belt
    • pocket knife
    • Fixed knife (CETME bayonet actually... :hsugh:)
    • multi-tool
    • compass (thinking of getting some USGS topo maps of the area and scoping out some areas for bug-out w/accompanying maps)
    • waterproof/windproof matches
    • P38 can openers (funny since I have no cans that require can openers)
    I am debating on whether or not to carry a shooting iron - mostly because of the potential legal issues. I have a Glock that's seen little use for quite some time which would be a good candidate for this project should I decide to pack heat. I would get one of the cheap holsters and carry it with some magazines and a box of ammo.

I need to develop some sort of plan.

If I have to bug out, I'm not so sure what to do. With 30 minutes' notice and a working car, I could possibly get out of the area with gear and supplies to last for weeks or just escape the ... radius ... of the disaster. I've been contemplating storing some gas in the garage, but wonder about the long-term stability of the cheap plastic containers that are readily available - perhaps I should buy a few of those 5-gallon steel milsurp containers instead?

If I can't bug out by vehicle and cover vast distances, then I probably need to trek out on foot somehow. The DFW area has reservoirs and waterways running throughout it so water isn't likely to be an issue.

If SHTF and my apartment building is still standing, I'm going to hang out there so long as it's safe. I have several days' worth of food that does not require cooking, several gallons of bottled water, water frozen in bottles in the freezer, water in the refrigerator, all the other conveniences of life, and of course a considerable stockpile of guns and ammunition. If there's a long disruption in utilities, there is water in the area (small river and a small reservoir are equadistant), and I'm planning on stockpiling more food/water.

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Tagged for later, I need to transfer my pictures to this new laptop and then I'll upload them and a content list. I also will do a write up on my experiences with pre-paid phones for the BOB

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't have anything like a bug out bag because I'm not sure I see the practical value in the way most people usually talk about them. I do travel a lot by car though and usually bring a man purse.
    [​IMG]
    It doesn't necessarily get out and walk with me but I can bring it from the house to car, to other cars, into the office, etc.

Its got some work papers of course, a usually a book I'm reading, a couple zip lock bags full of snacks that meet my special dietary needs, a bag with some comfort stuff like extra kleenex, ibuprofen, bandaids, cough drops, breath mints, imodium, allergy meds, etc. I carry a tooth brush and toothpaste, a bottle of saline to rinse out my eyes/contacts or a wound if necessary. There's a deck of cards, a swiss army knife, a flash light. There's also a minor boo-boo bag thats got some gauze, gloves, a couple dozen sterile pads, some alcohol swabs, ace bandage. Its not much but its stuff I know how to use and could still use to try to stop some relatively small bleeding. I usually have a water bottle on one side pouch, ipod in the other. It'll keep me fed and comfortable for a while if I'm just out with friends for an extended length of time, my car breaks down late at night in the middle of nowhere, or there's an earthquake or tornado or something that slows my return home.

In the car I have a large box in the back thats got my traveling supplies in it. I can pull it out quickly and easily if I need the space but its almost always there and has jumper cables, some fluids, a small ammo can that has road flares and some fire starting stuff in it, a small shovel, a couple tarps, tow strap, receiver hitch shackle, a backpack that has a few bottles of water, a change of clothes, and a roll of TP.

None of it is really tactical or cool looking. There's no maxpedition packs, EMT kits with airways and quick clot or anything. It is all practical stuff that I've needed before though. Have some stuff thats practical for you to carry with you to keep you safe and comfortable but keep it useful and realistic. A lot of people start to drift off into the "omg societys collapsed and I have 30 seconds to grab a bag and live in the woods for the rest of my days with" fantasy land.

8. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

I dont have one

9. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Currently, my bugout setup is a 30cal ammo can filled with ~300-400 7.62x54R, a bandoleer, 10 strippers loaded with light steel ball, a pair of spam can openers, and the mosin screwdriver/bolt tool.

10. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

I have a write up somewhere on here of my pack in an earlier version.

Basically:
    3-4 days food w/ stove
    water filtration setup
    Sleep system, bag, pad, bivy, shelter tarp, ground cloth
    rifle ~150 rds
    Firestarting stuff
    Misc items, paracord, knife sharpener, coffee filters
    First aid, Israeli bandages, bandaids, misc
    spare gloves, hat, 1 pair socks
    Glock Shovel
    Medium camp axe/hatchet
    Collapsible box saw
    Compass, regional map

That's the just of it, I work ~200+ miles away so it lives in the pickup with me.

11. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

Just wondering, but what is everyone planning on "bugging out" from?

12. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

Do you remember Katrina? :hsugh:

13. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

I always figured a Katrina type situation would be the most realistic.

14. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

noobs on the internet

15. Ticket Me

Ticket Me Active Member

ill try to take some pics of mine but i dont cary any ammo i just dont think im going to need it till i get some place i can bunker down

16. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Katria 2.0, most realistically.

17. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I have two, large Rubbermaid tubs filled w/ supplies. that I can stick in my car in under five minutes. Five more minutes and all 9k rounds of ammo as well as firearms are in the car.

It's funny that this thread was made today since I just spent $800 replacing/upgrading stuff in those tubs today. The piece that I'm happiest about is the MIOX water purification system. The last few big ticket items on my list: body armor w/ trauma plates, gas mask, NVGs.

ETA the full list of what's in my "kit":

2 weeks of food, primarily canned veggies and meat but also some pasta
    25 gallons of water (assume 1 gallon/day/person)
    326-piece first aid kit w/ blood clotting agents
    Excedrin (has both acetaminophen and ibuprofen)
    1qt of 91% isopropyl alcohol
    Nitrile gloves x100 pairs
    Suture kit
    Alcohol swabs x200
    Large candles x2
    Tea candles x50
    Propane stove
    Propane x4 (need more since they're camping size)
    Toothbrush x2
    Toothpaste
    MIOX water purification system w/ spare parts kit
    Katadyn water purification tablets x30
    100ft of 1000lb test paracord
    Kabar
    Flares x2
    Dog food (man's best friend needs to eat too)
    Mess kit
    Alice pack filled w/ misc. milsurplus gear
    Axe
    Hatchet
    Saw
    Batteries (16 - AA, 30 - CR123, 24 - D)
    Lighters x2
    Pentagon X3 flashlight
    7'x7' summer tent
    Sleeping bag (need a near-freezing one though)
    Magnesium firestarter x2
    Waterproof matches x100
    9oz package of loose leaf green tea x2
    Compass
    Feminine hygiene pads x44 (for her, obviously)
    Extra soft TP x24 rolls (just because the world's ending doesn't mean I'm using sandpaper to wipe my brown eye)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  18. Admitted

:eek4:

19. THT

I'm not a tin-foil kind of guy but having seen the effects of Katrina as well as what's happening in Iowa (thank God my girlfriend who lives in Iowa City has been with me for two weeks), I think it's a good idea to be prepared. I set her up with a mini-BiB (bug-in bag) which is where the majority of today's $800 went.

20. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Thank god I live in the middle of Illinois. No bugging out from hurricanes. I suspect I'll be the first to bug out from Obama trying to take my guns away though. :(

21. Admitted

So everyone is just planning on a natural disaster? Before it hits, everyone heads up to the woods with no shelter (or where) and just kind of wait it out until...?

22. THT

I live around Joliet but see the need/importance of being prepared. And realistically speaking, the people I see having to defend myself from are those who didn't prepare. ... or the goddamn zombies...

23. Admitted

Nothing wrong with being prepared, just want to understand why people do it.

24. Admitted

Yeah, but George Bush hates BLACK people. I'm white so I'm ok, right?

25. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm thinking about making a BOB in case of another Mississippi River flood. Other than that, it's basically gonna be standard military gear for MGS4-style combat in urban St. Louis City. :coolugh: