LGBT What's changed about the way you dress as you've gotten older?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cedric, Jan 25, 2005.

1. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

I thought this would be a fun thread. We can look back on the days when we've made some less-than-tasteful fashion choices and laugh.

I'll start...

I've noticed that since I was about 13 (I'm 23 now), my clothes (jeans in particular) have actually gotten progressively tighter. I was into the whole baggy trend as a teen :ugh: . Now when I look at the clothes I used to wear, I just think it looks sloppy. Thank god I got out before all the urban brands really started to get big. That could've been tragic.

2. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I wore uniforms in middle and high school. The clothes I wore outside of school were whatever random jeans and t-shirts I had until about age 16. When I was 16 I started hanging out with a large group of friends who were all age 19-24 metros. My clothing style pretty much began to imitate theirs. When I came out at 18, I started being more adventuresome with colors and stripes, and am now (not being cocky here) the best dressed person I know. Nothing flamboyant, I just try to always dress well. It's easier for me to dress well than to dress like crap. I've gone down a size in pants not because of a change in my body size but like you said to get a slimmer, tighter effect.

3. boiwunder

boiwunder New Member

My clothes in high school were very eccentric and out there, nothing distasteful just what other people never had the balls to wear. Now I tend to wear clothes that fit properly and look cleaner / smarter (I dunno if that makes sense).

4. FadeToBright

FadeToBright FadetoFfuu

I went through the whole punk thing. You know, wearing all the black clothes and the strappy pants :hsugh: Now I just seem to be wearing cleaner looking clothes, without brand names showing. My t shirts seem to be more of an art form now :) I wear ones from Threadless.com.

5. XxRicanxX

XxRicanxX New Member

In high school, I was into the "hip-hop" phase as well. Now that I am almost graduating, I am dressing more professional (friends see it as metro), and hope to bring that with me into my professional career as well.

I don't want to be the type of parent that kids are scared to bring their friends around or bring you into public.

6. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

I can tell you that, as I get into my mid-30s, my fashion is not keeping up with the times.

I was just on vacation in Mexico, and there were a LOT of European guys around, all wearing male Capri pants.

I'm thinking, "I can't wear those. I'll look like an idiot!"

So, my fashion is changing, but not with what's en vogue.

7. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

Man capris. :rofl: :mamoru:

8. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

you laugh now, but you'll be wearing them next year, guaranteed. :o

9. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

:o...I picked up a pair, and had it altered so that the ass cheeks are visible. But Ferron vetoed the pants, even for the club. I have other gays who love them, but I doubt I'll be hanging out with them much. The wrong crowd for me.

10. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

Personally, I am not ready for male capri pants :mamoru:

11. RedGoober4Life

I'm not a very trendy person. :hs:

12. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I'm a little more trendy.

I like different colors rather than the same old blah colors that most straight guys wear.

I can't stand wearing underwear unless I absolutely have to. :naughty:

13. GeekDrew

GeekDrew aka DataDrew

Until my junior year in high school, I didn't care what I looked like at all... was a huge slob. I had to wear a uniform my junior and senior year of high school. The whole 'look good' idea stuck. I started caring what I looked like (well, most of the time), so I started attempting to dress well. I'm ugly as hell :p but I try my best anyway. Until I left my job, I wore a shirt, kahkis, and a tie (or something like that) every day.

Now I'm back to working on the family farm quite a bit, so I'm dressing like a midwest farmer.... Carhartt socks, pants, coats, etc. It's a rather dull uniform but it's the best thing when you're working on everything from heavy machinery to animals ;)

14. CoCo

Every since 7th grade, I’ve been privately educated. From that lovely academy for Jr High to the High School, I’m endured Catholics who felt my attire should be kaki’s, white dress shirt, maroon tie, and options of white or maroon sweater (High School added the optional navy blue blazer). So, early on I learned how to sew, altering the monogrammed sweaters into sweater-vests and creating berets from the remaining material. Additionally, I started milking the Native American card to bypass the ‘no jewelry’ rule, wearing my ‘cultural’ chokers, bracelets, and earrings.

Since them I’ve become adamantly against dress shirts and ties, even though I posses a shitload of really nice ties. Professionally, I’m great at getting away with wearing a lot of non-traditionally colored dress pants and stylized shirts.

Casually, my jeans have become tighter in the more sultry places, and I own only a couple pairs of sneakers, opting for the gayer shoes. As much as I try to deny it, I luv shoes. If I really like the shoes, I’d spend upwards of $400 (whereas my limit my parents set when I was younger was only $150).

Those are the only things I can think of where my fashion has changed. The crazy slut clothes have always been ‘my thing’. When I was young, one Halloween, I went out trick-or-treating in full tribal wear…ie, loin cloth, spear, jewlry, fur vest/chest plates with a lot of flesh showing, eliciting the response from my wannabe-promiscuous baby sister “mooooom, if he gets to go out naked, why can’t I?”

15. Ferron

Ferron So yes, I'll see you there.

For the love of Jesus:noes:

Also, when I get home, I'm making a pair of jean skirt pants.:squint:

Pics to follow:mamoru:

16. CoCo

...silence you; those pants get me compliments from everyone but you and Taylor.

And I just realized that you have potentially seen a pic of that Halloween outfit. :mamoru:

17. Taylor

Taylor Guest

You forgot Megan.

18. CoCo

Initially I was gonna say 'hags don't count', but that would have been a lie. :mamoru: :o Instead, I'll say that although she may have claimed she didn't like them, her boobies did. Now, whose opinion to do YOU value most: her or her boobs?

19. cargojock

cargojock New Member

Boot cut jeans now --> :wiggle:

straight leg jeans from high school --> :barf:

20. FLO

FLO .

My ex g/f tried to make me buy a pair a couple of years ago and I just dont think I can pull it off. As for me my clothes are much more fitted now and I just like looking nice most of the time.

21. RedGoober4Life

If you were wearing white man capris, what would you wear underneath? :mamoru:

22. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

I wouldn't be caught dead wearing capris, so it's not an issue. :wiggle:

23. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Rob, love the new av!

24. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I stopped caring about name brands are started caring more about the colors and the way they fit.

25. CoCo

Hell yea...