What's causing my computer to crash?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by alex p. keaton, Feb 14, 2005.

1. alex p. keaton

alex p. keaton OT Supporter

Lately my computer has been crashing quite often without notice for no apparent reason. I decided to try a reformat but that didn't help. I've come to the conclusion that it is probably a hardware issue, but how can I figure out what is causing the problem? Any ideas on what it could possibly be? Everything seems to be fine aside from it freezing every half hour, so any suggestions would help me out a lot.

2. Buttcheeks

Buttcheeks Guest

What is the computer?

Have you tried re-seating all of the crap inside the computer?

3. alex p. keaton

alex p. keaton OT Supporter

It is a custom built computer...I did try securing everything, but to no avail.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It could be a bunch of different things... I'd say it could be hardware since you just did a format.

I'd do a fresh install of Windows, and install the add-on cards one by one testing each one to see if it locks up.

I went through this a couple years ago. I broke down and got a new machine and as I was installing the add-on cards in the new machine, I realized that the fan on my GeForce card died and was causing the lockups.

5. Little Spunky $#!T

Little Spunky $#!T :cool:

try re-seating your ram into different slots

6. Fee

Fee Boba Fett Likes the Nips

how about your ram? got any other to test? borrow a friends?

If you got 2 sticks of ram try 1 then try the other ?

7. phreak

phreak OT Supporter

what are the system specs? any recent changes in software? (drivers, windows update,...)

what are you doing the majority of the time it crashes? (games, internet,...)

i was having a similiar issue with freezing when using IE (switched to firefox) and lately after doing a window update. i changed my video driver and everything is fine.

8. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

How well did you apply the heatsink grease to the CPU? My P4 started rebooting itself in the middle of heavy tasks and corrupting the hard drive. Turned out that as the processor got older it couldn't handle the overclock with the higher voltage even though it was running cooler thanks to a better heatsink. I've had to crank it back twice now, to stop it from happening.