whats better,yahoo music or apple I tunes?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by swenjj, May 21, 2006.

1. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i have had yahoo for about a year,it works fine but nothing great, i want to get the better of the two, my daughter wants an mp3 player,which works best for putting songs on mp3 players, without paying per song, just the per year price?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, considering that you want a subscription service in leu of purchasing songs to own, then you can't even use iTunes.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I've heard of a lot of people using Rhapsody, but I'm not really too crazy about Real Networks. Otherwise, what about Napster?

4. swenjj

swenjj New Member

ahh,i was thinking itunes was sort of the same thing as yahoo music, a subscription thing with the option to buy,

is napster about the same thing then? which has more music?

also, i have yahoo music right now but no mp3 player yet, if i get one for her do i have to get a certain kind to make it work with yahoo?

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I prefer to buy CDs and copy them onto my mp3 player. That way nobody but nobody can tell me I'm violating any license agreement. That, and I only listen to music that I consider good enough to buy.

6. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i actually dont listen to music alot,but my daughter is 15 and has a totally differnt taste in music anyway, and listens to alot of different stuff, i would rather just let her pick whatever she wants and put it on her player instead of trying to buy a new cd all the time

7. deusexaethera

Or you could make her get a job, and she could buy CDs with her own money. That would build self-control instead of building the expectation that Daddy will give her everything she wants.

8. swenjj

swenjj New Member

oh she most definitly doesnt get whatever she wants,to be honest the mp3 player would be for her 16th birthday,in december, long ways away, but my yahoo runs out in june so i want to decide now

EDIT: i use the yahoo all the time, just not for music, i listen to some rodney carrington,and a couple other comedians mainly, and i am starting to check out a few singers i normally wouldnt

9. samm

samm Next in Line

My guess with the Yahoo store is you'll be required to buy a mp3 player that supports Windows Media Format. I don't know for sure since I don't use Yahoo, hopefully someone else can comment.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't pay much attention to deusexaethera. I can't tell if he's always serious, but he generally takes the opposite opinion just to get a "rise" out of people.

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Basically any of the subscription services will NOT work with an iPod. Apple designed the iPod to play purchased music -- not music from subscription services. If you insist on subscription services, then you need a "Play for sure" device. Samsung makes a decent one. Check out your local electronics store, or the "help" function of your subscription service to learn which are compatible. At this point, I'd pick your music store, first (sounds as if you're already happy with yahoo) then choose a player that works with that store.

12. deusexaethera

You are so not the right person to be saying that. The only way I can justify this statement is that you automatically assume everything you say is right. I, at least, am capable of admitting fault.

On another note, I really like Archos players. They have this nice feature where they don't keep you from doing what you want with the music you buy. I'm pretty sure their new GMini XS202 is a PlayForSure device.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

admitting fault is not a positive virtue if you're usually wrong. Keeping your mouth shut, on the other hand, would be.

Telling a guy how to raise his daughter is NOT appropriate. Especially when all he asked was what subscription service do we recommend, and why, and with what mp3 player.

14. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

:ugh: Who are you to make comments like this?

15. deusexaethera

Someone who got a job and bought the stuff he wanted instead of expecting his parents to get it for him.

I have no idea what this guy's parenting style is, and you're right that it's none of my business to know. Furthermore, I wasn't implying anything about what kind of father I thought he might be in the first place; I was referring to the stereotypical Daddy-and-Daddy's-girl that I'm sure everybody is familiar with, and I don't know if he fits that stereotype, and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me either way.

I was suggesting a job and the money that comes with it as an alternative to any music service, purchase-based or subscription-based, that would involve this guy having to make a complicated decision for his daughter who knows what she wants better than he does, and then having to pay for it himself whether or not she ends up liking it.

I'm sorry for the harsh wording, I was on-edge at the time that I wrote my response because I'm getting really fucking sick of Jolly and his flunkies degrading my intelligence because I don't agree with them. My original point, as it stands without that harshness mixed in with it, is still a valid option I think. Leave it up to the thread-starter to decide whether he likes that option or not.

16. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Well, it was extremely inappropriate. And regarding Jolly, the problem is that most of the time you are just flat-out wrong. It's not a matter of agreeing opinions, it's the facts that you have wrong.

17. swenjj

swenjj New Member

i ended up paying for another year of yahoo music, but it looks like i would have to upgrade and pay more to be able to put them on an mp3 player,which sucks, probably better to use the music thing to find good cd's and just buy them, i think its another 60 bucks or something to be able to put the music on the player, or pay for each song separately at a buck a pop

18. deusexaethera

Well, 60 bucks more can get you 5 or six CDs, or it can get your daughter a year of downloading all the music she wants onto her music player. I guess the question is whether she's likely to download more than 60 songs in a year or not.

19. deusexaethera

Oh, cut the crap, would you? First of all, I was apologizing to the guy who started the post; I could give a shit what you think, and frankly you haven't given me any reason to respect your opinion whatsoever. Second, I've been programming since I was 11, and building my own computers since I was 14. I may not have the same approach to solving problems as you and Jolly have, but if I were really as wrong as you two love to say I am, then I suspect I would have noticed it myself by now. As it stands, the ten-year-old pile of broken hardware in my garage is just a little too small for me to accept that I'm supposedly blind to my own incompetence.

20. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I'm going to make this short... I started programming with Apple II's when I was 8, built my first computer at that age as well. I am now part-owner of a fairly good-sized computer company in San Diego. So stop whining... I don't dislike you, and you have given many people decent advice.... but if you don't know about something, don't guess. Do the research, and give people the correct advice if they are not willing to do the research themselves. It's only fair to those that are asking the questions, and it might actually teach you something you don't know.

21. deusexaethera

It's nice that your parents could afford a computer that early in your family's history. (no, I'm not going to cry now.) If what you say is true -- and I don't believe that you are lying to me -- then you are a well-adjusted and knowledgeable person to have accomplished what you have with your life. I, for one, am a systems engineer for a digital mapping company in Northern VA.

Yet, the social skills you must have in order to run a company make it all the more strange that you would throw your lot in with Jollyogre, who clearly gets some kind of thrill out of taking every opportunity to bash people -- not just me, there have been others -- when you could just as easily post the same viewpoint separately and politely. Do you realize that posting shit like ":bowrofl: :Owned: " in direct response to one of Jolly's unecessarily-insulting roasts makes you look the worse by association?

22. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

Check your PMs.... taking this outside of the forums.

23. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Is this forum moderated?

24. swenjj

swenjj New Member

your right, i guess a 60 dollar mp3 player for her birthday and a 60 dollar upgrade to the service for christmas isnt bad, thats at the end of the year so i wont worry about it now, i'll just keep the basic yahoo unlimited for now

25. deusexaethera

I'm glad I was able to help after all.