MIL What's better: Air Force, Navy, or Army officer?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WildBull, Dec 8, 2008.

1. WildBull

WildBull Guest

in terms of quality of life and enjoyment of duties (females are plus)? I'm about to pick up my 4-year degree and I'm looking at job options right now. Done my fair share in the dirt on the enlisted side. The civilian side does not look too promising lately- so I'm interested in what each has to offer.

I know ultimately I'm going to see a recruiter of each and have a chat, but I was wondering if any "O's" here had any input.

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

If you go AF, be prepared for a different definition of discipline.

3. WildBull

WildBull Guest

oh? :mamoru: I heard they don't take prior-enlisted Marines.

4. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

So far I have enjoyed my career as an Army officer. It seems like just when my job starts to get repetitive, it is time to switch positions. As far as the Army goes, a lot will depend on what you branch. For example an Infantry officer is gonna have a very different experience then say an Adjutant General officer. I branched Signal Corps and have liked it quite a bit. No matter what you branch, be prepared to basically hate life while your a 2LT. The downside to the Army is the longer deployments, and it seems like 90% of Army posts are not in the best locations.

5. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I am really looking into this profession in the Air Force. So far I like what I see.

Morale, Welfare, Recreation And Services Officer
    Develops and implements plans, programs and policies for operation and oversight of food service, lodging, fitness, mortuary, recreation, child development and leisure functions.

6. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Navy officers have some of the worst jobs. Just don't think about unrestricted line (the people that can eventually command their own ships). They get treated like dogshit, and have the worst career paths up until that point.

7. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

:rofl: I cant believe thats a real job in the Air Force. If thats the profession you want, dont be looking at the Army. Youll end up doing your normal job and being voluntold to plan out some MWR event on the side.

8. dumbaznboy

dumbaznboy New Member

why not go back into the Marines?

9. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Air Force. Nothing less should be an option. It's the business.

10. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

That is the problem with the AF. My good friend Colonel Stutz said it best when he said he didn't feel like much of a businessman during his years as a POW.

11. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

one of my closest friends is a prior marine who went AF.

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

The mentality / cluster-fuckness. Makes my pee pee shrivel up.

13. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

AF but i'm biased

14. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

That career field is no more. It's now under a huge umbrella career branch known as Manpower, Personnel and Services. The FTO for my sister flight was a services officer. I guess he really liked it. You just need to have a thick skin because it's gonna be hard to please everybody.

15. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

services officers are few and far between and they are not thought of very highly, i'm not sure if you know how hard it is to get selected as an AF officer but its not easy and you need a hell of a package to get selected.

16. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

Taken out of context, sir..... "It's the business" is a phrase and means something along the lines of "it's the shit".:hsugh:

17. kazimer

kazimer New Member

It all depends on what you want you ultimately want out of being a military officer

I am an Army officer, if you want to be tested in various leadership roles then it is hands down the best way to go. your job changes just as you get the hang of it. if you are lucky enough to get your branch (infantry, field artillery, signal, etc etc) of choice and actually have legitimate platoon leader time then you will have a blast. promotion to O-3 is basically automatic unless you are currently being investigated for either gross negligence or extreme incompetence. retraining is readily available :o if you want to become technical or get into a position that doesnt change often, you have the option of functional areas at your 4-year mark (essentially civilian style staff jobs with extensive training)

cons: army posts are in shitty locations, not all career paths are the same yet the training and expectations of knowledge are the same (a former protocol officer makes for a shitty assistant operations officer in an infantry brigade :o ), if you start out on staff or dont get a platoon you will most likely dislike the army and hold a grudge against it for a long time

i cant comment on the other branches but from hearsay and talking to friends that are Os in the others..Navy and Air Force are more technically based and you dont necessarily develop the small group leadership. one of my good buddies was a marine officer and ETSd in January, he said there was alot of BS to deal with and that was the ultimate reason for leaving

what are you looking for as an army officer? is it a means to an end? a potential career? want leadership experience?

18. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I want a career. I want a nice steady pay-check. I don't want to be messed around with- i/e "hey we're humping a mountain today". I want to travel and see nice places. I want to enjoy my job. I don't want to see combat again. I want to be around women in the workplace. I could give a shit about trying to make my dick look big by being a small or big unit leader. I want to do things that are interesting, but won't stress me the hell out.

I'm serious. lol.

19. There's nothing wrong with that.

20. tunes

tunes OT Supporter

21. Colostomy Bag

Colostomy Bag New Member

eggsactly.

22. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

Being prior Navy Enlisted and now an Army Officer...I think the grass is greener period on the Officer side, regardless of what branch. Quality of life is going to be better, solely based on your rank/pay. Each branch has similarities when it comes to life as an Officer (briefings/meetings/powerpoint/excel/etc..), and then their are huge difference as some of the career fields go.

23. FalconXtreme

FalconXtreme w3rd

correction now its been even more consolidated. they are now all one afsc called Force Support Officers. http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123120962