GUN what's an acceptable time to wait until you start bitching at a holster maker?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, Apr 8, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

ordered in the first week of december, advised 1.5-2mo
    called about 3 mo later, advised "a couple more weeks."
    called about a month after that, advised "another couple weeks."

now, one one of the two last calls (dont remember which) he told me he broke his leg or some shit.

should i be angry yet? right now i'm just slightly annoyed and becoming increasingly impatient. :o

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

ask for penny pics of leg in cast

3. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

you have no idea about anger on waiting for products. trust me

4. sprite

sprite Active Member

Depends on the maker. If it was one of the many holster makers who have a pitiful reputation for timeliness and you ordered from them anyway then you have automatically forfeited your right to bitch, no matter how big, frequent, and outlandish their lies are.

Otherwise bitch to them all you want, and it still won't get done any faster. Then bitch about them online and prepare for the deluge of comments along the lines of "he's a standup guy" , "he makes a great product", "he gave me a free reach around", and that you must be a stupid, impatient cocksucker that doesn't understand the craftsman can't be rushed and that perfection takes time.

Basically your holster is late either way.

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

btw, one dude who im looking to get a custom holster from says his wait time is 17-20 weeks

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thats what it boils down to for me. Holster makers largely suck at giving estimates. Part of that is probably due to the nature of the business for some of them filling military orders that suddenly come in and the like. Either way its not done til its done, it is a hand made product...if you don't like waiting cancel your order and go with someone else. I say don't listen to their estimates to begin with and just plan to get a surprise package in 6-8 months.

7. Crossett

Crossett New Member

I waited 6 months for my VM2

8. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I got my MTAC in about a week :fawk: :o

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I already have an MTAC.

If I was told it'd be 16 weeks I'd be fine but I was advised half that at most, now it's been twice that long.

I have two holsters on order from TTGunleather and I expect them to take a while.

I'll just keep calling. I left a message yesterday and got his voicemail again today.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

Everytime you call, your wait is 2 weeks longer

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I feel your pain bro.

Do you suspect foul play, or just that they are taking forever and completely suck at making timelines?

It could be worse..... My CZ parts supposedly "shipped" the 24th, but still haven't got here and USPS claims to have never seen them.

12. BLH

BLH Member

Calling is not going to get your order done any faster, if at all it will be slower because he doesn't like you bitching at him and is going to make you wait longer.

13. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I just think the dude sucks at timelines.

14. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I don't think it's unreasonable for me to wait twice as long as he says to wait before calling.

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:hs:

16. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I waited 4+ months for my holster from Lou Alessi when he quoted me 4-6 weeks. :dunno: I was pissed though.

17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I would expect a four month wait from Alessi, Milt, etc. This guy isn't nearly as "popular" as the others. I heard about him from a friend in the training community who spoke highly of him.

Don't get me wrong, he's a really nice guy and older than dirt but shit.

I'll be really pissed if I get my ttgunleather holsters before I get his. :rofl:

18. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

Fuck this thread

I don't care if you are a "custom" product maker. If it takes more than a week to deliver a product, and that product does not take a week to physically manufacture, you just suck at life.

If it takes 20 weeks for a product to get made, that physically take 30 minutes to build you are a complete retard. Simple as that. This means you have enough orders to fill half a year, people are desperate for your shit and you're not smart enough to:

1. hire someone to answer the phone so you don't waste time talking to people when your expertise is in manufacturing
    2. hire someone to build the shit because your expertise is in selling it (you have 6 months worth of orders)
    3. Hire both of the above because even if you have people for both of these things you don't have enough of them
    4. Raise your prices because you have social anxiety disorder and fear having people like employees around you and instead of people not ordering because of wait time they could not order because you are charging double.

Dieing of cancer? Broken leg? If you knew how to run a business you wouldn't have to physically perform every operation in that business. If you know how to make nice cock holsters than teach some other guys to do it and stop being the bottle neck in the process. I don't care if the owner dies. If the owner isn't a shit head he'd make sure people got their orders no matter what happens.

Oh and can we all just stop with the "oh he had a military order." No one is making thousands of custom holsters for M9s that don't get issued ammo. Nor are thousands of soldiers buying custom ipod rail mounts or triggers for their issue weapons. If you replace a barrel on your M16 you will potentially face jail time. Knowing this, even if you do get an order it's for something not important. No one is dieing because they needed a multicam headband.

Oh and if you did just get a huge military order, wtf does that have to do with my order. If you want military orders get some fucking manufacturing capacity to handle it or stop taking my fucking order.

/rant

19. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

[​IMG]

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

To a certain degree, I agree w/ fatmoocow.

I would think that if you are honestly 6mo or something crazy behind on delivering products, it would behoove you to seriously consider expanding your business. Unless of course, you are a filthy communist and hate the idea of making more money, all while making more people happy to finally receive your product.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Most of us would rather our military would get taken care of and will wait to ensure that our troops get what they need. If you won't thats your choice, shop elsewhere. You also suck.

Anyway talk to holster makers. Its apparently hard to find people that you can train to do a good job. When you do find one and train one, they just start their own leather company. Would you rather they put out substandard work with their crappy insufficiently skilled workers or would you rather wait for quality?

I hate waiting but at the end of the day most products I buy are poorly made shit. I'm not really eager to apply the same manufacturing process to my holsters yet. If you want that you can buy galco. if you want the old expert making it then you take what comes with that.

I think if I were a holster maker that'd be my line. Its done when its done, if you want it tomorrow, buy a galco.

22. I agree with phrozenlikwid and fatmoocow. If you are running a business and you accept an order for something and tell the customer it'll be 4-6 weeks, then make sure they get it in 4-6 weeks. I could even understand 7 weeks if you're busy and you quoted them 4-6, but to quote someone 4-6 weeks, and then take 4 MONTHS is absurd. It says that either you have no clue what you're doing and you can't keep track of your time and workload, or you are simply lying to your customers. Neither of those things are beneficial to a business. It seems that nobody cares if their holstermaker lies through his teeth to them. "sorry, I would have had your holster to you in the quoted time, but then I broke my leg, was called before congress to testify, was held hostage by the North Koreans, and then was abducted by aliens. Now that I'm back to making holsters, I should be shipping yours in another 4-6 weeks."

23. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I agree with fatmoocow to a certain extent. My issue is when someone gives you an estimated date, they should give you a realistic one. I don't care if 50 orders came in after mine, you know how long it takes to make a holster, multiply that by how many holsters you need to make and how many hours you expect to be working and don't come up with some arbitrary number. Chances are if you make good shit, I'll still order it from you (if I don't, it's not like you're hurting for business). Stick to that deadline. If you might have issues with something, give me a longer than expected date. When my holster arrives 2 weeks early, I'll be ecstatic, and if it arrives on time, I'll still be a happy customer.

I can understand Lou's issue, but he went in for his first surgery 2 weeks after his estimate of when the holster would arrive. I also didn't know that he was fighting cancer.

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

You must not support the troops and hate America. He has miltary orders to fill, boss.

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

I love how any gun related business defaults to "Oh, we had to do something for the military, sorry we fucked your order!"

I find it to just be a nice convenient excuse - nothing more.