WEB What's a specialized software/language to learn to get a job

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CRFTSY, Jan 6, 2010.

1. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

I'm decently versed in lots of front end bullshit, but nobody wants to hire for that.

I was never a great programmer back when I messed with C++ in school though, so I'm thinking something more in like the statistical field or something.

I figure there's some "confusing" software out there being used by lots of businesses and they probably need techs for it. Any ideas? :x:

2. CrazyFoool

CrazyFoool OT Supporter

sharepoint? IBM has a modeling software that i used briefly... it was a full suite of shit tho and i forget the name.

you have to go through a pretty shitty boring period w/ all this stuff so if you just like to f around, nothing is for you at this point in terms of the level you need to get a REAL job.
    its also about what you can potentially learn at work, so if you can't and it shows..you're sol.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  3. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

well i'd like to get really technical in something, but i'm just trying not to waste my time in a sense.

i enjoy programming okay as a hobby, but i know i would never be able to compete with most people who are professionals in it even if i really focused at it. I don't really have the mind of a programmer, from taking 2 years of courses on it ya know? I can tell..

But if there's a type of software out there in need of people to specialize/administrate in it, i'd study that shit up and be able to impress in it hopefully. Something that's not as competitive but in demand.

I'll check out some sharepoint stuff, thanks. Any others you can think of?

I know some guy awhile back said he got a job in this one statistical software package because it's a bit confusing and they always need people to help in these huge offices that run it.

4. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

sharepoint is hot at the moment

java/c# will be here for another decade at least, i don't foresee something overtaking those two for awhile (they are evolving anyway)

5. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

sharepoint
    maybe some database management :dunno:

6. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

sharepoint seems really vague lol.

part of it just looks like the newest version of frontpage to me.

7. CRFTSY

CRFTSY New Member

just not sure why people would be in demand for this i guess.. i'll keep reading, can't hurt.

8. Supergeek

Supergeek New Member

Databases might be something for you to get into. Narrow enough to be able to learn relatively quickly, but deep enough to require a dedicated employee.