Whats a reasonable rate for PC troubleshooting?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Homan, Oct 4, 2004.

1. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

on site, is 30 dollars an hour fair?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

The shop I go to charges $60/hour (Canadian) for labor, so 30 sounds fair to me (as long as you've got some sort of certification, if not 30 would be on the high side of reasonable) :dunno:

3. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

$30 is kind of low. i did a market survey in my area and found a range of $40-$125, with a mean of about $75. those prices include networking, so if the work is only pc related it might be good to go 30-50. more for networking

4. Apothis

Apothis New Member

The shop I used to work at charged $60/hr in-shop. $90/hr on-site. We never charged more than 2 hours though, regardless of how long it really took.

5. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I wouldn't charge less than $60 for onsite. Charge a minimum of 1 hour, then bill for every half hour.

6. drinks11

drinks11 I record music.

My friend charges $70 and everyone seems to pay it no problem. It doesn't matter if you're young as long as you come through.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

$30 is very low. Make sure they know what they're doing -- because for that price it would make it seem that they don't.

I charge $50 for remote assistance (me at work/home and working with them over the phone/net) $70 for on-site service, and $35 when they come into the store.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Don't charge too little. People don't seem to take you too seriously if you do. Call around and set your rate right at the average. If you're not as experienced and take a little longer, you can always knock some hours off the total but still charge the same per hour. I never give anyone a hard quote because people will tell you one thing over the phone, then the job mysteriously expands once you're there. Like you go out to install a new NIC and join a box to the domain and find out that there's no CAT5 in place, the CD-ROM drive is busted so you have to figure out another way to install the drivers, and the user won't get off the phone and vacate the desk so you can do your job. When you charge by the hour and not the job, people make much more of an effort not to waste your time. I charge $70/hr, one hour minimum, and 1/4 hr. increments after the 1st hour. That's about average around here.

9. Homan

Homan Unconquerable OT Supporter

Well I am going to get my A+ sometime in december, I also have taken some cisco classes but no certs. I can do basic networking stuff and troubleshooting but I was wondering for onsite service what do most peopel do when they have to replace things?

I mean you bring the usual boot disk, drives for testing etc but if you need to replace something do you have them pay you to take the time to buy it for them? or do you just tell them to buy it themselves and you come back to install it?

10. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I carry a few cheap things on me that aren't likely to vary in price much. (Sound card, NICs, cables) For something like a hard drive (that I don't carry), I just run to the nearest Staples, CompUSA, or Best Buy and pick one up. Luckily there's a ton of them all around here so it doesn't take long although I do charge for my time getting the part. No one's ever had a problem with it and its cheaper for them than me charging a 1 hr minimum to spend 10 minutes to tell them their drive is toast, then coming back on a second trip to replace it.

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

if it's inexpensive i go to compusa and use my corporate rate to get them a discount, then put the equipment charge on the invoice. if it's more than a few hundred dollars, i walk them through buying it online, show them some options and make a recommendation. they buy it and have it shipped to the office and i come in and install it when it arrives.

12. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

For housecalls, I charge $75 just to walk in the door and up to 1 hour. After that, I charge $50 every hour after that.

For businesses, I charge $75/hr with a 2 hour minimum to cover travel and expenses.

I never have anyone haggle with me.