WEB What's a good website building application?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I have a full version of Dreamweaver MX. Is that pretty out of date, tho?

I see a lot of hosts have templates and stuff you can use but I figure that might look generic (kind of like how everyone's Myspace looks the same).

In other words, is there anything I might need to do that I can't do in Dreamweaver?

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

i use textmate

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

i don't have a Mac :)

I got this Dreamweaver in 2001 so that's why I'm asking if it's out of date.

4. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

If you get comfortable in dreamweaver MX, you should be able to accomplish allot.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Cool. The last time I used it was in 2002, tho. I'm doing the following to try and learn this stuff again:

-w3schools.com
    -Finding cool webapges and saving their source and opening it in Dreamweaver and seeing what does what
    -drinking

6. intrktevo

intrktevo New Member

i dont think much has changed html wise on the web. its mostly been the transition from table to no-table design.

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Please explain.

You mean like how every website now is a giant image with different sections you can click? Is that because web connections are faster now so you can actually have a page that is full of pieces of one giant image and not take 10 min to load?

I'm seeing stuff now that I don't know how to do. Like a menu and you click on it and it opens as it slides downward to show you some sub options. I think this is way too sophisticated for a simple image that changes when you mouseover it. I right click on it expecting Flash, but it's not. I look at the source and see <li class="havechild> and menu ids and span. wat? I don't even see where the image itself comes from. Oh that's because it's not an image at all! It it certainly doesn't look like text, tho.

Back to studying.

8. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

TextMate
    UltraEdit32

9. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

What you're referring to with the animation is javascript. Javascript has come a long way since the last time you did any web development. Also, what he means by no-tables is that you don't lay out your page using tables. You use CSS. CSS is the new standard for websites. It helps with uniformity. Check out the sections in the w3c school on CSS and maybe pick up a book. If you need any help, we're here.